Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

How 'bout a roll call for WW2 combatants still posting here?

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by the_diego, Jan 3, 2021.

1. the_diego

the_diego Active Member

Just that. Anyone?

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I think we have to be realistic - WWII is now a long time ago and most of the true veterans are now either in very advanced years or, sadly, no longer with us.

I'll always be grateful to this Forum for enabling me meet, face-to-face, a Luftwaffe nightfighter ace and a B-17 navigator and to have the opportunity to discuss their experiences in detail.

But that was over fifteen years ago ; on a positive note, Forums such as this owe it to these guys to 'keep the memory green'.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    TD-Tommy776 likes this.
  3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Best I can figure, we no longer have any WWII veterans who are active here anymore. There may be the odd one or two that lurk about the joint without posting, but I seriously doubt it.

I do know that our good friend Ron Goldstein still drops in from time to time at WW2Talk and I think comes by here on rare occasion, but he is not nearly as active as he has been in the past. The years have gained on him and I think he has said about all he thinks he needs to say to us about his time in the war.

Like Martin, this forum helped me to be able to get to know several good men and meet or talk on the phone to several. Ultimately, it led almost directly to me getting further involved with Marion Sanford (whom I already knew well) more closely, resulting in our writing the book in 2012. That activity then led to me going to 30th ID Reunions and meeting so many grand soldiers. I wouldn't trade it for anything. In the last reunion he went to before his dear sweet wife died, I spent about 2 hours talking with Francis Currey, a giant figure of man in a tired, aged body. He was quite humble and a joy to talk to.

Ron Goldstein and Kai-Petri like this.
  4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Yes, I think there are no active ones here anymore.

I used to go in Finland in 2000-2006 to a couple of Finnish ww2 soldier meetings but they stopped as they felt they did not have enough members to go into them anymore.

5. the_diego

the_diego Active Member

I think before 2010 there was a vet who replied to one post of mine. I can't recall his name. I said I find using 9-pound+ rifles in .30 caliber for jungle fighting really dicey. That's for someone who grew up seeing AK-47s and M-16s. He gave a very "American" answer:

"You fight with whatever you had. You keep it clean, oiled, and loaded all the time, and pray to God it works when the time comes."

He also mentioned they were fighting with '03 Springfields as late as 1943.

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Unfortunately they are 90+ by now. 1945 +2021. If they were 20 when in the army that is 20+55+20. I miss them as much.

7. Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein WWII Veteran

Still alive (just about) at 97 and waiting for my second anti-Covid jab.

Rest assured, if I think that any postings require my comment, I shall be there !!!!!!!

Best regards to all

Ron

Otto, HESH, Half Track and 10 others like this.
  8. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Good Show, Ron!

Ron Goldstein likes this.
  9. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Salute to Ron!

:s!:

10. the_diego

the_diego Active Member

Hullo! I hope your second covid jab didn't bother you too much. The second shot gives one chills, headaches, nausea, and other aches. Doctors say it's your body doing a dry run against any virus that might try an encircling attack. Stay safe and hope to hear more from you.

11. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Roll on the next three years Ron...I hope you post your "telegram" from the Queen.