Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

How did anybody (British, American, Germans) paratroopers

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Riter, Feb 16, 2020.

1. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

roger that....but I would think they would keep the trigger group assembled---or did they not?

2. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

thanks
    ..I've got kids--so no $$$$$ hahahahhaha
    ...yes, seems logical they would keep them together .....we did the same for mortar sights and mortars

3. Riter

Riter Member

Correct. Trigger group was not disassembled; just removed.

4. GaryJKennedy

GaryJKennedy New Member

British and Canadian paratroops used an item called a Valise to carry weapons. There were types for rifles, Bren guns and Stens. It used the same principle as the equipment bag (the leg bag that caused US paras so much trouble), which was worn strapped to right leg up to and through exiting the aircraft, then released and lowered down on a tether by the wearer prior to landing. Bag and man landed at the same speed and in the same place, but just a few seconds apart, so sparing the man from landing while actually carrying the load. The valise did the same thing, and allowed a paratrooper to land with his individual weapon close by.

I'm not sure there was any special means developed to protect optical sights in particular on landing. There were other equally sensitive items dropped with parachute units, such as rangefinders for MMGs and mortars, wireless sets and plenty of things designed to go boom. There were larger containers, dropped separately but still expecting a bump on landing, used for heavier infantry weapons, ammunition, packs and so on.

Gary

Riter likes this.
  5. Riter

Riter Member

Thanks Gary. Now that makes sense. Considering that the British Commonwealth nations had detachable scope mounts and special carrying cases for the scopes that could also be packed in the valise, it stands to reason they could jump with their sniper rifles. The British mounts were pretty sturdy (unlike the American target scope mounts used by the USMC for their Unertl (which had its own carrying case)).

6. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

...how hard are they hitting?
    ... I would think the scope, inside it's case, would be packed inside a pack/leg bag/etc with items around it ... .....this would seem adequate protection...?