Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

How do I find out about Uncle John in WW2?

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by HeatherMc, May 11, 2018.

1. HeatherMc

HeatherMc New Member

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I don't know where to begin to find out if my Uncle John was in WW2. He was John McLean, born Glasgow 14/4/1908, but lived in Edinburgh until 1938/39. He had married Alice Hunter in 1938 but they were divorced at the end of 1939 and his address was "unknown". I don't know if he was called up or what regiment he would have been in. Does anyone have any ideas where I should start searching? Many thanks!

2. sonofacameron

sonofacameron Member

HeatherMc likes this.
  3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

You might also post your query on our sister site ww2talk.com. They have a more UK oriented point of view. They might be able to help.

HeatherMc likes this.
  4. sonofacameron

sonofacameron Member

Tried Find my past but could not find any info re McLean and Hunter. Several McLean's but without a bit more info cannot identify the correct one. Do you know his mother and Fathers names?

HeatherMc likes this.
  5. HeatherMc

HeatherMc New Member

Hi! Sorry for the belated reply! I hadn't seen my email about responses! Thanks! My Uncle Johns father was Donald McLean (my grandpapa) who had died in WW1 in 1914. His mother (my gran) was Nellie/Helen MacLaren or Couser. Ive tried a few sites to try and find his WW2 record or anything about him, but so far I haven't found anything. All I have is his photo in civilian clothes. He married Alice Hunter/Webster in 1938, but by the end of 1939, she had divorced him, and there was no address for him. :(

6. HeatherMc

HeatherMc New Member

Thanks, I can try that, I was looking at that site, and my Uncle had died of natural causes in 1982. I'm not his next of kin though, but I should be able to obtain his service record by providing his death certificate ,which I got from ScotlandsPeople site.