Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

How do you think World War Two relates or differs from modern day warfare?

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Locke, Mar 9, 2001.

1. Ron

Ron Member

I suppose anything is possible...but ground units are needed to control a populous. If some territory needs to be captured or liberated...then something needs to be on the ground to HOLD it and take control of the local populous...and stifle whatever is the local enemy force. I guess you could talk about robots WAY WAY in the future...but as long as humans are making war...war is about land...something needs to control that land...airplanes can't capture land...a tank can't...people not technology countrol countries.

2. JoCon

JoCon Member

i think now that we have more powerful wepons that is the only way warfare has changed

3. JoCon

JoCon Member

i think modern warfare is a load of crap. Why do we need nuclear weapons? For show or for use.

4. Ron

Ron Member

for deterence

5. Killjoy

Killjoy Member

An unfortunate truth... ...as is any manner of warfare.

It may be that until the effects of radiation released by nuclear weapons was discovered, it was presumed that they would be dropped like "mega-blockbusters" which would blast whole cities "nice & neat"

After the realization that any large-scale use would poison the entire surface of the Earth, the situation became one of "institutionalized standoff" where your only defence was the enemy's knowledge that you possessed enough nukes to sterilize their patch of dirt as thoroughly as they planned on doing to yours!
    Quite an irony that it was refered to as "MAD"!!!

------------------
    Novus Ordo Seclorum

6. A.GREG

A.GREG Member

Nuclear weapons aren't the only things that are different between modern day warfare and the past. There are many others such as biological weapons and the handheld weaons used by the infantry and ground units.

7. A.GREG

A.GREG Member

I beleive that overall technology is the only difference between modern day warfare and our history battles that have occured in the past.