Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

How good is your sense of direction?

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Ken The Kanuck, Dec 30, 2016.

1. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I do have a reasonably good sense of direction. My ex, on the other hand, was not. She once said, "Don't tell me North, South, East, West. Tell me up, down, left, right."

"And now for something completely different"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYvbaqfq9mI

YugoslavPartisan likes this.
  2. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Never been lost, and was able to override others opposite opinion when nearly so.
    Any map that is not oriented so that the top is North- messes me up.
    Possibly- it is easier to navigate up here, where the sun is out longer- mostly?

3. the_diego

the_diego Active Member

mine has always been good. it was made even better with my training as a geologist. i routinely made maps so i can immediately orient myself north-south; whether in the field or indoors, even deep underground. i find it hilarious whenever i ask someone for directions while inside an office building. they point to a supposed landmark farther up or down the road and they point in the opposite direction. i correct them, "you mean 'that' way."

4. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

There was a time it was almost impossible for me to get lost. I always knew exactly where I was and where I was headed.

Then I got married and I found out how misguided I really was.

Must be working though as we just celebrated 42 years of wedded bliss.

5. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I'm paraphrasing, but in his old age an admirer once asked Daniel Boone if he'd ever gotten lost. He replied that he been badly confused for weeks at a time, but never lost.

6. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I'd rather be "lost" in the mountains. Couple years ago I was wandering the local woods in the middle of the Chippawa Forest. Overcast day no Sun, you could only see for 40 yards or so and a bog or swamp every hundred yards. No way to walk a straight line. I knew if I went any direction (straight) I'd find a forestry road within a mile or two. Easy to get stuck going in circles. Always carry a compass now.
    Another time was 30 yards from the truck and couldn't see it. Used the 'panic' button for the horn, turned in circle and it was directly behind me.
    Used to be I could spin around with my eyes closed, stop and point within 10 degrees any direction ? Those days are gone.

7. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

IMO, triple canopy jungle is the hardest terrain to navigate in.

8. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Does moss grow in a triple jungle.
    ...Pretty sure this prairie boy could not handle 90%+ humidity. Extreme cold, hot and dry- no problem. Jungle- just leave me for the enemy. I'll try to hold them off for as long as i can. Then- boom.