Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

How many American Aircraft Carriers were made?

Discussion in 'Ships & Shipborne Weaponry' started by japkiller, Jul 25, 2009.

1. japkiller

japkiller Dishonorably Discharged

All I know was that whenever the Japanese made 3 large and 5 small carriers, the Americans made 5 large and 8 small carriers.

2. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

3. USS GOLD STAR

USS GOLD STAR Member

The wayThe way this question is stated seems to me to skirt the important issue as related to the Pacific War. It is a no-brainer that the USA built more than Imperial Japan, but counting the beans is less useful and interesting than seeing how the production of the two contenders impacted on the course of the war. For the U. S. Pacific Fleet, as late as April 1943 only SARATOGA and ENTERPRISE prowled about, marking time. That summer things changed dramatically when ESSEX, INTREPID, a new YORKTOWN, a new LEXINGTON, and BUNKER HILL arrived to join up. What's more, through that winter and into 1944 a new HORNET, TICONDEROGA, RANDOLPH, FRANKLIN, a new WASP, and HANCOCK would join. And these were only the big ones.

Japan's production was not even in the same ball park. We haven't even mentioned new fighter planes like the Hellcat and Corsair, nor the pilot training programs that produced many excellent fliers for the carrier squadrons.

What is it you're interested in learning about?

Flags

A-58 likes this.
  4. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

At the end of WWII the Allies had over 100 operational flight decks of all sizes, almost all of them operating in the Pacific. (I think the exact number was 103, but it's been a while since I looked that up.)

5. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

6. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

7. lwd

lwd Ace

There's a nice chart in:
    Grim Economic Realities
    That list CVs and other major warships produced during the war by the US and Japan.

8. MastahCheef117

MastahCheef117 Member

Kinda off topic: In HOI2 from 1936 to 1944 I boosted my carrier count from 3 to 19.

9. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

The originator of this thread got dishonorably discharged after only 2 posts USSGS, so he won't be learning anything here. Now for the rest of us, there's always something new to pick up, even on things we thought that we everything about....

10. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

Good links in this thread. Well worth a bump. + http://www.ww2pacific.com/japcv.html

Once upon a time I saw a large list of British Carriers, Aircraft transport class carriers.
    I was quite startled at how many there were and especially how many were in the Pacific Theatre. - Way more than the American's much to my surprize!

That list of carriers at Haze Gray & Underway World Aircraft Carrier Lists is informative, but no quick way to find which ones were used in WW2 or in which Theatre.
    Including that list at http://www.ww2pacific.com/ Me wanting to find that list of British Carriers etc in the Pacific.

I have seen the list at http://www.ww2pacific.com/britships.html but somewhere there is a much longer list including those transporting aircraft.

Any pointers? It was something of interest to me. Tnx!

11. freebird

freebird Member

Don't forget the "USS Robin" ;)

12. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Or USS Sable and USS Wolverine, the training carriers on the Great Lakes.

Attached Files: