Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

How My Father Served During World War II

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by dwduty, Jan 24, 2016.

1. dwduty

dwduty New Member

My father, Charles Everett Weeks, served during WWII as a Staff Sergeant with the 102nd Infantry Division, 927th Field Artillery Battalion, Battery B. Then, before he received a Honorable Discharge on February 7, 1946, he served as a First Sergeant 844 (gun crewman, light artillery) in Company K, 302D Infantry in Rhineland, Central Europe. Off and on since 2008 I have been trying to locate any information I can regarding the histories of both infantry divisions he served in. I already have the book entitled "With the 102nd Infantry Division through Germany" that has one photo of him with the 927th Field Artillery Battalion. However; I do not have any other photos of him with his units, and I'm wondering if there are any other photos or any historical information, additional books, websites, or anything that would possibly give me more information about my father and his service time. I have done some research on his duties as a First Sergeant 844-gun crewman, enough to know that this was a very, very important job with a lot of responsibilities. I'm very proud of my father, and what little I have learned about him so far in his service to our country during WWII, but I would really like to learn more if possible, or have contact with someone who may have known him in either infantry division above?? I realize it may be impossible to even find anybody still alive that would have served with him, but I'm willing to try and see if there is, or at least a relative of someone that may have served alongside my father and knew him?? My father died in 1995, and when I went through his personal belongings after his death, I found NO photos of his time during WWII, or any other papers--only thing I DO have is his "Enlisted Recod and Report of Separation-Honorable Dischage" document that has a lot of information on it. Any help anyone could give me, I would sure appreciate it. Thank you.

Mrs. Donna Weeks Duty
    110 Angora Court
    Cary, North Carolina 27513

Admin Edit: Changed Dishonorable to Honorable in second sentence.

2. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Dishonorable Discharge or Honorable Discharge....you use both terms in your description

3. Owen

Owen O

Have you contacted the chap listed on the 102nd Div website who deals with enquiries into the artillery ?
    http://www.ozarks102id.org/coordin.php
    Richard Dunning, Coordinator, 213 Crestmont Dr., Newfoundland, PA 18445

4. dwduty

dwduty New Member

My father had an Honorable Discharge...sorry for the error on my part....was typing too fast. I have contacted Richard Dunning back in 2008, but I will attempt to contact again to see if he perhaps has any new information regarding my father. Thanks!

5. dwduty

dwduty New Member

Since my father, Charles Everett Weeks also served in the 302nd Division, Company "K", does anyone know how I can perhaps contact the coordinator of that battalion/division?? Is there a website with information?

6. Owen

Owen O

There was no 302 Division in US Army.
    302d Infantry Regiment were part of 94th Division, here a link that may help.
    http://www.94thinfdiv.com/

7. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

It would be a help if you could post his Separation documents. Perhaps we could glean information from it. Meanwhile, Owen has posted a great link. At the bottom is a number for the secretary. Maybe you can try there.

dwduty likes this.
  8. dwduty

dwduty New Member

I do appreciate all the comments and suggestions related to my post regarding my father, Charles Everett Weeks. Lou has suggested that I post my father's separation document; however, when I tried to scan and post (just one page!), I got an error message saying the document was too large to attach. Daggone it!!! So, the only thing left for me to do now is to type out all the info on his separation document in this post. Yes, it will take a while but I'm willing to do it, IF it will help someone provide valuable information and help to me in my research. So here goes.....whoever reads this please respond with suggestions on how I can further my research to find out any info regarding my father, records, photos, books, etc. Donna Weeks Duty

ENLISTED RECORD AND REPORT OF SEPARATION - HONORABLE DISCHARGE

CHARLES WEEKS
    ARMY SERIAL NUMBER: 34 475 667
    GRADE: 1ST SGT

9. LRusso216

ARMY SERIAL NUMBER 34475667
    NAME WEEKS#CHARLES
    RESIDENCE: STATE MISSISSIPPI
    RESIDENCE: COUNTY SHARKEY
    PLACE OF ENLISTMENT CP SHELBY MISSISSIPPI
    DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY 01 MONTH 5 YEAR 46
    DESIGNATION 1#SG First Sergeant GRADE:
    BRANCH: Field Artillery
    TERM OF ENLISTMENT 3 Enlistment for Hawaiian Department
    NATIVITY 45 MISSISSIPPI
    YEAR OF BIRTH 21
    EDUCATION 4 years of high school
    MARITAL STATUS 6 Single, without dependents
    COMPONENT OF THE ARMY 1 Regular Army (including Officers, Nurses, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)

This is his enlistment record from NARA. Are you sure of the dates? The record shows his enlistment in the FA after the war was over. Do you have any details of his service before that?

dwduty likes this.
  10. dwduty

dwduty New Member

Oh no!!!! I hit a wrong key and it sent the post before I was finished with all the information on my father's separation document!! So, I'll continue here now (I'm leaving out some of his personal information like height, weight, pay info, as didn't think that was necessary to share) Any help anyone could provide after reading this separation document info would be most appreciated! Mrs. Donna Weeks Duty, Cary, North Carolina

ARM OF SERVICE: INF
    COMPONENT: AUS
    ORGANIZATION: CO "K" 302D INF
    DATE OF SEPARATION: 7 FEB 46
    PLACE OF SEPARATION: SEP CEN CP SHELBY MISS
    PERMANENT ADDRESS FOR MAILING PURPOSES: HOLLANDALE WASHINGTON MISS
    DATE OF BIRTH 18 DEC 21
    PLACE OF BIRTH: CATCHINGS MISS
    WHITE
    SINGLE
    MILITARY HISTORY: DATE OF INDUCTION: 30 OCT 42
    DATE OF ENTRY INTO ACTIVE SERVICE: 13 NOV 42
    PLACE OF ENTRY INTO SERVICE: CP SHELBY MISS
    SELECTIVE SERVICE DATA: REGISTERED: YES, LOCAL S.S. NO. 1
    COUNTY AND STATE: COPIAH MISS
    HOME ADDRESS AT TIME OF ENTRY INTO SERVICE: HAZLEHURST COPIAH MISS
    MILITARY OCCUPATIONAL SPECIALTY AND NO.: FIRST SERGEANT 844
    MILITARY QUALIFICATIONS AND DATE: S R JAN 44
    BATTLE AND CAMPAIGNS: RHINELAND, CENTRAL EUROPE
    DECORATIONS AND CITATIONS: GOOD CONDUCT MED; ATO MED; EAMETO MED; WORLD WAR II VICTORY MEDAL
    WOUNDS RECEIVED IN ACTION: NONE
    HIGHEST GRADE HELD: 1ST SERGEANT
    DATE OF SEPARATION: 12 SEP 44 EAMETO 23 SEP 44
    21 JAN 46 US 1 FEB 46
    PRIOR SERVICE: NONE
    REASON AND AUTHORITY FOR SEPARATION: AR 615-365 CONVN OF GOVT RR1-1 (DEMOBILIZATION)
    SERVICE SCHOOLS ATTENDED: NONE
    REMARKS: NO TIME LOST UNDER AW 107
    LAPEL BUTTON ISSUED
    ASR (2 SEP 45) 56
    SIGNED BY MY FATHER: CHARLES WEEKS
    PERSONNEL OFFICE SIGNATURE: AVA P. LEATHERMAN, 1ST LT WAC

11. LRusso216

12. dwduty

dwduty New Member

Lou, thanks for providing my father's enlistment record from NARA - I actually found that earlier today in some searching I was doing. Regarding your question to me in previous post: "This is his enlistment record from NARA. Are you sure of the dates? The record shows his enlistment in the FA after the war was over. Do you have any details of his service before that?"

I'm afraid I don't have any dates of his service for the war. Only dates I have are from his Report of Separation, which state:
    SERVICE OUTSIDE CONTINENTAL US AND RETURN: DATE OF DEPARTURE: 12 SEP 44 DESTINATION: EAMETO DATE OF ARRIVAL 23 SEP 44
    DATE OF DEPARTURE: 21 JAN 46 DESTINATION: US DATE OF ARRIVAL 1 FEB 46
    PAY DATA: LONGEVITY FOR PAY PURPOSES: 3 YEARS, 3 MONTHS, 8 DAYS

13. dwduty

dwduty New Member

Lou, I do remember my father telling me that he fought in the Battle of the Bulge, so that would have been in Rhineland, Central Europe, just as it is listed on his Report of Separation.

14. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

His discharge has the date of separation as Feb 46. The electronic enlistment record has him enlisting as a First Sgt. in May 45. I wonder if he re-enlisted 3 months after his discharge. Then the re-enlistment information replaced his original enlistment info. That might explain the discrepancy.

15. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

It seems odd to me that he would serve as a artilleryman with the 102nd ID (towed 105mm) and then serve in combat as an infantryman. Company K of any infantry regiment had no artillery, other than 60mm mortars, which were considered to be an infantry weapon and not artillery. The men manning those tubes wore the blue of infantry not the red of artillery, so being transferred between the two service arms would not have been a common occurrence during wartime.

However, for the trip home, I think it seems very likely. I see no entry for overseas time, but guessing at the time in service and the number of campaign ribbons he earned and other honors, he was probably a low-point man. When the war ended, the Army assigned points based on length of service, awards for valor, etc and the higher your points, the more likely you would be to go home early. There was a good bit of shifting soldiers around to get men who had similar numbers of points together in the same units that were slated to come home early or late. It was much easier to plan a shipping manifest based on blocks of men instead of individuals. Consequently men were often placed in units other than the one in which they served for the trip home. Also, some units were slated to go to the Pacific after the European war ended, so again, high point men from those units were swapped for low point men in other units.

It would be good to know if the 94th and 102nd swapped troops at war's end. We'd have to luck upon it if someone here does not know. It may very well explain why your father transferred to the 94th, which participated in several more campaigns than your father is showed to have earned and why he came home with them, instead of the 102nd. For me, it would explain why an artilleryman ended up in a rifle company.

TD-Tommy776 likes this.
  16. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I think Jeff has that about right. The shuffling of soldiers from one unit to another was common at the end of the war in Europe.

It does appear that the 102nd was slated to go to the Pacific, and had a large number of men redeployed home on points (source: Ozark History). Unfortunately, this source doesn't mention the 94th or any other division. I'll see if I can find something more definitive.

Slipdigit likes this.
  17. dwduty

dwduty New Member

Thanks to you all for all the information you are finding out and providing for me regarding my father's time in WWII. I have wondered why he was in two different units, and the shifting around to different units seems to be a logical explanation. I also think it's quite possible that he did re-enlist at some point after the war?? I seem to remember that he made a brief mention to me of re-enlisting at some point, but I was not able to get any details on it...he just wouldn't talk about it very much with me at all. I'm sure some of his memories were not good and he more than likely suffered PTSD like so many other soldiers from WWII. One positive thing I did hear him say is that he loved Europe, and would have liked to have lived there. So he did spend some time in Europe during the war and possibly afterwards when he re-enlisted?? All of this is very interesting to me, it helps me know my father better. I just wish so much that I had some pictures and a diary or something from him. When he died there was a shed in his backyard that I wish now that I had taken the time to go through...it was so cluttered and messy looking, I just didn't want to deal with it. Think it mainly had yard tools and other kinds of carpentry tools in it, but I've often wondered if it also had some momentos of his time in the war in there as well?? I'll never know.