Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

How Sealion could have been made workable?

Discussion in 'What If - European Theater - Western Front & Atlan' started by leopold, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Devilsadvocate

Devilsadvocate Ace

Well, gee! How unfair of the Allies to bomb Germany 24 hours a day so they couldn't use their "more advanced weapons",

Doesn't it strike you that if the German's weapons were really all that "advanced", the Allies shouldn't have been able to bomb them 24 hours a day?

You watched a TV documentary that claimed the Germans were "very close" to being able to hit the US with a V-2, and you believed it? LOL!

Even if they were, and that is highly unlikely, landing a V-2 at random on the US eastern seaboard,isn't going to make a helluva big difference in the war, let alone bring England or the US to "their knees".

As for Germany developing an atomic bomb which could fit the warhead of a V-2, only in your wet dreams.

!. Germany was never even close to developing an atomic bomb, Because one of the chief German physicists, Werner Heisenberg, screwed up and miscalculated the amount of fissionable material required. As a result, Speer, in 1942, decided not to pursue an atomic weapon. German research was directed at achieving nuclear power for ships. aircraft, etc.

2. The maximum weight of the V-2 warhead was only about 2,200 pounds, while the smallest atomic bomb of the time weighed about 10,000 pounds. Even if they had developed an atomic bomb, it wouldn't fit in a V-2. They would have had to develop a rocket more than 4.5 times larger and more powerful than the V-2 in order to launch an atomic bomb.

3. There would be no point in fitting an expensive atomic warhead to a rocket as unreliable and random as a V-2. No one could predict if the rocket would hit any kind of target, and many of the V-2's actually malfunctioned on launching, coming back down in German territory; not an appealing idea if the damn thing has a nuclear warhead.

So no, the Germans weren't even in the ball park for realizing atomic weapons, striking the US, or being able to reverse the course of the war. They were losers when it came to developing effective weapons.

2. AmonMauser

AmonMauser Dishonorably Discharged

So you know more than the 'historians' on the History Channel? seems like you and JCFalkenbergIII missed your calling. By the way it was German scientists that made the moon landings successful, be careful what you say about the German intellect.

3. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

4. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

It is not German intellect that is being questioned. It is the time factor. Moon landing were made with a large contribution of German ingenuity, true, but that occured 24 years after the end of the war.

The ability to lift and deliver the necessary payload size simply did not exist until well after the war's end. They very fact that a missile with poor guidance existed late in the war does not translate into into an effective weapon within the time frames mentioned. And this does not take into account of the inability of the German scientific community to develop a working bomb of any size. There is no evidence that they got even reasonably close to building a useful explosive atomic device, none.

5. AmonMauser

That's because Hitler let his prejudice get in the way.

6. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Ah.....okay

7. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

as mentioned, "what prejudice"? None involved with the liquid fueled rockets were Jewish, nor Roma/Gypsy, nor Slavs. Only a few of the nuclear scientists and theoreticians were driven out of Nazi Germany.

Hitler's prejudice against what became the V-2 was based on the death of his own close friend in one of the liquid rocket experiments (Valier), when he chose to place these "weapons" in the same class as pre-war Zepplins; un-reliable, explosive before use, and useless in warfare.

Hitler's prejudice was against the A-4 (V-2) system itself, not those building it.

8. Joe

Joe Ace

Yes.
    They shouldn't even be able to call themselves historians. My cat knows more about History than them.

By the way, my friend;

By that, do you mean that if the Germans where not being bombed 24 hours a day they would have won?
    Or if the Germans where bombing the USA/UK/USSR 24 hours a day the allies would collapse?
    If that is what you think, how could the Germans have done this? V2s are a no-no, as everybody else has already explained.

9. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Obviously you didn't read the thread or you did not comprehend it. There are NO "Historians" at THC. It is a TV channel created to entertain and make money from its advertisers and viewers. Most of their programming is produced and made by outside sources. And they are in the business of making money and buy the programs not for historical accuracy but for entertainment purposes. Many mistakes have been pointed out by people before. THC does not check for accuracy nor wants too. And when some come here and state these programs as a souce they get bent out of shape when they are shown the information is incorrect.

10. redcoat

redcoat Ace

The reason German 'wonder weapons' seem more advanced than Allied weapons is due in a large degree to the desperate situation the Germans found themselves in during the later part of the war.
    Germany put far too much effort in developing weapon systems, which weren't cost effective (V-2), unreliable (Me 262) and downright daft (Me 162), and introduced them into service long before they would have been seen as fit for use in a Allied army

11. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Good point there redcoat. How many projects in other countires were done or "speeded" up out of desperation because they were LOSING the war? Getting the crap beat out of you will make you grasp onto any type of "wet Dream" you can think of. Most of the projects never made it off the drawing board. Once again this thread is side tracked LOL. C'mon!! lets :deadhorse: the subject of Sealion more!! None of the so called "Super" or "Wonder" weapons existed then.

12. Joe

Joe Ace

If you want to watch a program really about History, watch one that is done by a real Historian.

13. Devilsadvocate

Devilsadvocate Ace

Well, I've probably done a lot more research than the "historians" (if any) who work for The History Channel, I know that much. If you think I've made any arguments that are false, why don't you turn off your TV set, hie yourself down to the nearest library, and do some real research about German weapons?

As for the German intellect, I'm not saying that some of the German scientists weren't brilliant, but it's a documented fact that Heisenberg's calculations were badly flawed, and that cost the German's any chance of developing an atomic bomb. They wouldn't even have started until the middle of 1942, anyway, which would have put them a year and a half behind the vastly larger and better-funded American effort. The German intellect was no worse or better than anyone elses, but when it came to weapons, they seemed to lack common sense and failed to think through the consequences of many of their development projects. By 1943, they were desperate and grasping at any straw that might eventually pan out, none of them did.

14. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Originally Posted by AmonMauser [​IMG]
    So you know more than the 'historians' on the History Channel? seems like you and JCFalkenbergIII missed your calling. By the way it was German scientists that made the moon landings successful, be careful what you say about the German intellect.

Well thank you.The odds are that unlike you, we have been studying military for way longer then you have been gracing the earth with your presence. We and others here have been studying long before THC and videogames. Back when you could buy and read books and go the library.

15. Joe

Joe Ace

I think I might be an exception, but everyone loves me anyway...

16. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Ahhhhhh... You are one of the few who does listen though :). Some of us here have the openess and maturity to admit when we are incorrect and accept the corrections and additional info. :)

17. AmonMauser

studying military?? this is a 'WWII'forum not a militaryforum.

18. Joe

Joe Ace

Well last time I checked, WW2 did have a lot of military content.

And besides, this is a military forum too, there is a military History section.

19. AmonMauser

my posts were WWII related not historical military related, so his insults have no validity.

20. lwd

lwd Ace

???? Is it just me or was this total incoherent?