Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

How to interpret "Trade agreements"

Discussion in 'Hearts of Iron' started by Kampfbereit, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Kampfbereit

Kampfbereit recruit

Hi guys,This is my very first post, I'm a WWII enthousiast (you do say it as such in Englisch, right?), interested in all things that happened during WWII, from military issues up to political repercussions (although I also have a keen interest in everything about the Greeck en Roman history).I have a question about Hearts of Iron 2. I have difficulty interpreting trade agreements. In the Production Folder, you can see an overview of all Trade Agreements. There are two columns, Give and Receive, but how to read those? Suppose I am Germany, and one of the entries is Brazil. Under Give there is 1.2 Energy, under Receive is 2.3 Oil. Does this mean "Brazil gives 1.2 Energy to us and receives 2.3 Oil from us" or "Germany gives 1.2 Energy to Brazil and receives 2.3 Oil from Brazil"?Same question when you receive a trade agreement proposal from another country. What does "Brazil offers a trade agreement, 5.9 Rare Materials for 5 Reinforcements" mean, who gives what to whom?Thanks a lot in advance for any info.Kampfbereit

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Welcome Kampfbereit, I am not much of a game player myself but there are others here who can give you a hand.

3. Paulverisor64

Paulverisor64 Member

Hearts of Iron III seems to do this the same confusing way. I would have to believe that this would be from your country's point of view. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but Give would always mean you Give and Receive would mean what you would receive.

4. Kampfbereit

Kampfbereit recruit

Hi,Thanks for the input, this is also how I - up until now - interpreted the system. Since I seem to be continuously low on supplies (as Germany, early 1937), I accept all trade agreements that seem to give me supplies, but I keep having problems keeping my supply numbers not going into the reds - and I'm not even at war yet!I think I'm going to have to increase my IC no matter what before going to war with even Lichtenstein;-)Also, when creating my own trade agreement proposals, it seems to work exactly the opposite of what is explained in the manual. The manual says "slider to the right of midpoint = asking for a resource. But once I "ask for" supplies in this way, so before having pulled any slider to the left of the midpoint to offer something, the chance of the other party saying "yes" is 100%, as if I have not asked for anything but instead offered something, and not yet having asked for anything in return (anyone still with me here?). Makes me think the whole thing works completely opposite to what the manual says.Anyway, thanks for the update, I(ll experiment a bit further and get back to you guys.GreetzKampfbereit

5. Anderan

Anderan Member

go to the production tab, there should be a supplies slider there. there should be a number on a button just above it that says the minimum IC necessary to be in the green. Just click this button and the game will automatically allocate the proper amount of IC (provided you have enough)

6. Kampfbereit

Kampfbereit recruit

Hi,Thanks for that piece of advice there, Anderan. For the first years of the game, I let the game manage these sliders. I have chosen to give priority to production, and therefore, the boxes for Supplies and Upgrades remain unchecked - I thought i'd switch to those later in the game.I think I simply need to start playing this game by building as many factories as possible though, as long as there is no war yet, to yield the maximum number of IC later on.Greetz

7. Kampfbereit

Kampfbereit recruit

Why doesn't the forum accept the hard returns I use in the make-up of my replies, now it looks like I don't care about lay-out at all...