Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

How/Where do you display your models?

Discussion in 'Modelling' started by Henry G, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Henry G

Henry G Member

I've been getting back into building models (mainly ww2 aircraft) and I'm starting to wonder how I should display or store them.

I think I'll be sticking with mainly 1/48th scale since space will be an issue once I start building a few. I'd like to get some kind of display case to house them in my office.

Let's see some ideas. :D

2. 36thva2

36thva2 Member

I have my Panzer`s and planes displayed in a china cabinet my wife let me use.

When I was a kid, I used to display my planes hanging from my ceiling. They all met Ack-Ack fire one day from my BB gun;) My mom was p.o.ed when she saw holes in the ceiling:D

3. Henry G

Henry G Member

Hahaha. Some of my older models as a kid were retrofitted with firecrackers and bottle rockets in an attempt to get them to fly. :)

So I guess I'm just starting over. :D

4. Phantom of the Ruhr

Phantom of the Ruhr Member

I have a wooden shelf in front of my window which I use to display my aircraft models (Built by my uncle). My die cast tanks are situated atop a bookshelf I use to display my 1/6th scale action figures.

5. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

:D
    I was 'born again' into modelling too, and know the 'What the hell do you do with them when finised?' syndrome very well.

Tried to put a few in a safe place but now realise it's hopeless - so they're either piled up in 'the heap', left on a nice base gathering dust until a yo-yo or similar scores a direct hit, given directly to the kids to destroy, or subjected to 100% authentic armour testing with airguns & lighter fluid when some chaps are over for a party and we feel like regressing to childhood after having a few.

Long as I've photographed the decent ones, I'm happy with that.

~A

6. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

my model tank,is on a shelf just in front of me where my laptop is,so I see it all the time,ray..

7. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

thought you,d like to see where....:)

8. Keystone Two-Eight

Keystone Two-Eight Member

Yeah, same here, especially with a wife who isn't exactly crazy about them being all over the place. She already puts up with my hunting gear, bayonet collection,etc.

I have been building a lot of Allied stuff recently, and I'm starting to think that when I get too much of it, maybe I'll drop some of my better figures and dios of American stuff on the doorstep of the local VFW, see if they want it.

9. White Flight

White Flight Member

My son entered an science competition in 2009, a regional event with his peers and other schools to re-engineer a basic Estes Alpha rocket. The competition was open ended, without any kind of recommendations. He narrowed his selection down to two platforms, deciding on the BA 349 Natter Interceptor over the Me 163. Running short of time, his project was entered without performing the finish-out, taking first place, receiving two awards. The project, model, was displayed at the hosting school of the competition and later at his school. Fast forward to December 2014, after occasional mentioning over the years of finishing the project, he skinned painted and affixed decals to his pair of rocket interceptors. One was a test mule which was repeatedly badly damaged in glide test crashes. He restored and completed them both in time to display them at his Eagle Court of Honor earlier this month, December 2014. He included his original display with supporting documentation as one of his many accomplishments and a tie-in on two of his merit badges, Astronomy and Space Exploration.

Slipdigit likes this.
  10. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I bought a tv entertainment unit...extra shelf where the tv goes...but i bought it for the glassed doors on either side...i wanted my models behind glass as the dust build up was/is pretty constant here...so i look at them two years later and they are still in preistine condition rather than "fuzzy" with dust...I also bought some modellers grass (used for railway setups) and used some black paint to create little fields and runways that my models sit on....parked.

11. peoples flying corps

peoples flying corps New Member

Glass cabinets are always good. I have a tallboy/glass 4 shelve unit and it's quite slim. But i can only have one plane on each shelf as i have moved up to 1:32 scale and put away all my 1:48. Good luck with your models though. 1:48 scale is a good way to start or return to modelling. I just want a bit more detail in my kits. Tamiya/Hasegawa/Revell all do some great 1:48 scale models.