Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

How would you guys redesigned your favorite MBT?

Discussion in 'Post-World War 2 Armour' started by tankerwanabe, Jun 25, 2004.

1. tankerwanabe

tankerwanabe New Member

via TanksinWW2
    How would you guys redesigned your favorite MBT? You have to stick to nationality. For example, you can't stick a 88/71 gun in a Pershing.

King-Tiger:
    If I had to redesign the King-Tiger, I'd start with a lower hull, and maybe install the Christie suspension and simpler wheels. I think this would lower the overall weight to under 55 tons. Of course, I have to take out the hull machine gun. But who really needs it anyways, it's impossible to really aim out of that hull.

I'd keep the 88mm, because its probably the best combo of penetration, anti-personel, accuracy, and reloading speed. And I'd keep the turret. It's forntal profile is actually sufficiently small. But I'm undecided on shortening the turret, as it could save weight but may hamper the gun's operation.

2. Danyel Phelps

Danyel Phelps Active Member

via TanksinWW2
    Too bad the King Tiger ain't an MBT.

3. Mutant Poodle

Mutant Poodle New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I would take the Brits MBT, with these additions.

1). The Russian Black Eagle front turret slope.
    2). The Russian point defence anti missle box system and radar.
    3). I wouild use the Isreali hydrolic fluid system/material because it is not flamable.
    4). Install into the design of the frame the same engine removal setup the USA uses in it's MBT.
    5). There would be no crew in the turret for the MBT to function.
    6). Use a three round auto loader and single round selector for the main gun.
    7). Reduce the crew to 3: Driver, Radio/Commander, Gunner/Loader
    8). The crew would be in semi reclyned, nonflamable material chairs.
    9). Each crew member would have one escape hatch directly available to them.
    10). FOF designator bult in to chasis, from the factory.
    11). The engine would be in the front of the tank to allow for the semi reclyned chairs.
    12). A solar powered portable radio/smalll battery charging system.
    14). LCD headlights.

Unless I can install a Guass Rifled main gun I would think that would be it.

Oh yes, a painted red Canadian maple leaf in the desired indetity areas.

4. GP

GP New Member

via TanksinWW2
    That depends on the theatre of operations, because the tpye of terrain would demand a different design.

For urban warfare a heavily armoured tank with coaxial mg. the length of barrel would be shorter and of course engine at front for crew protection.

For a tundra type theatre light fast with wide tracks, a bit like the T34 and a gun with a decent range. Again engine at the front.

5. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I would add a more powerful engine and a better suited drivetrain as well. Then I believe we┬┤re getting somewhere. :grin:

6. Mutant Poodle

Mutant Poodle New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Oh, ok here are the things I would have done differently with the Tiger.

1). Change the wheels for better field service.
    2). The turret would have had better slope to armour thickness ratio, this way it can drop a few pounds.
    3). A better drive-wheel-transmission, for better cooling and lifespan.
    4). The turret would not have any welding joints, because it would have been a single-mold-forged piece. This would have made the entire turret structure stronger and the production time to assemble the tank would have been lessened significantly.
    5). The engine compartmnent would have been more accessible for engine field servicing.

That's it.

7. liang

liang New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Okay, here is what I fantasized, in a tank anyway

1. DVD player with a large LCD projector and surround sound to keep me entertained
    2. A cooler to store the basic necesities, you know, beers, ice cream...
    3. That crazy pneumatic hydralic suspension system of the Japanese and Korean MBT
    4. Similar to the Merkava, engine in the front, a larger rear compartment that can accomodate a small infantry squat
    5. A combination of diesel/solar/electric powerplants that saves fuel and reduce noises and infrared signature
    6. Okay, I agree with the turretless gun platform which places the crew in a lower and less vulnerable position
    7. The gun needs to be upgraded to the 150-155mm caliber, can fire all types of ammos: DU, SQUASH, HESH... rifled preferred but smoothbore is acceptable
    8.British 2nd generation chopham armor
    9. A rapid auto-load and firing system that can fire 5 rounds in 15 seconds of quick burst or 6 rounds/minute of sustained firing.
    10.Need a minimal of one 50cal and two 30 cal MGS, and one rapid firing grenade launcher, or maybe a heavy mortar that can be fired from within the tank (like the Merkava)

8. Ricky

Ricky New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I'll just take a Merverka III with Chobnam...

9. Christian Ankerstjerne

Christian Ankerstjerne Member

via TanksinWW2
    I don't see any reason to lower the hull of the Tiger II. THis would not only make it less ergonomic, but it would also result in smaller ammunition storage and worse close defense capabilities hull machine gun).
    It would also mean that the radio wouldn't fit nearly as well, and the transmission and engine would possibly have to be smaller, making them weaker in the process.

10. m-7

m-7 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I don't care what tank, but I would stick a bunch of bayonets to it's front.

11. Ricky

Ricky New Member

via TanksinWW2
    And then paint a big shark-mouth, where the bayonets are the teeth...

12. Nashorn phpbb3

Nashorn phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I would take the M1A2 with the sensor/jamming kit of the T-90 Shtora.

13. PanzerProfile

PanzerProfile New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I would take the Leopard M3A5 and make sure all those nasty sidearmor is angled right away! Every time I see those right upstanding plates of armor and all the shot traps caused by the shape of the turret, I wonder whether the designers of that tank learned nothing of world war II tank designing.

14. Wspauldo12

Wspauldo12 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I would stick a GE F-100 Turbofan onto an M1A2 Abrams so it could drive rewally fast. Then I would give it a huge gun, like 200mm. The whole tank would need to be bigger for the bigger turret (of same shape and design) and toi hold the gun and ammo. It would be completely autoloading. It would also mount a few .50 cals, like 4, and a ganade MG because they are cool, AND and 81mm mortar just for kicks.

If I really wanted to imporve the M1A2 I think I would add some type of super good electronics warfare stuff like radar jammers, and such. I would also put in a warning device for helicoptors, and a pod of about 4 ground-to-air missles in the air defense role. A missle would work better than a .50, and it would be operated from in the hull. Everybody wins, except the bad guy. He die a death of extreme firepower! :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

I know. I am crazy. :smok:

15. Jeffrey phpbb3

Jeffrey phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I will keep the King Tiger the same on the outside but much more sophisticated on the inside, and ofcourse i would put a better engine in it, let's say ... 1500hp (...) and different suspension, but it still must look the same as in WWII, it's look great that way.

I still hope Krausmaffei wegmann or something will rebuild a King Tiger for a museum or something

16. Wspauldo12

Wspauldo12 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    speaking of rebuilding King tigers, where would hollywood get the specs to build a tank (like a tiger) for a movie. they have 2 Tigers and two Marder LT-38s (LT-38 w/88mm gun). THye build the Tiger wrong. It lacks the interleaved suspension, it only has the out set of wheels, and the idler was on front with the drive sprocket on back. But anyway, where do they get the info from, and who builds them? The have to build them. Nobody would let you have 4 WWII AFVs to blow up in a movie.

17. Jeffrey phpbb3

via TanksinWW2
    Do htey have rebuild King Tigers? :eek:

haven't seen any movie with a real (rebuild) King Tiger yet...

18. Wspauldo12

Wspauldo12 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I have never seen a king tiger, but i have seen Tigers, Sdkfz 251, marders, shermans, but anyway.....

19. hoffe_sweden

hoffe_sweden New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I would take the STRV 122 and put on a L/55 gun fron Rheinmetal that would be a d---n lethal tank...

STRV 122-L/55 :kill:

M1A2 abrams :bang: :D

Chall 2 :bang: :D

Leclerc :bang: :D

/Hoffe

20. Jeffrey phpbb3

via TanksinWW2
    Spain has the Leopard2a6E, witch is exactly the same as the STRV122 but equiped with the L/55 :lol: