Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

How would you have avoided the attack on Pearl Harbor?

Discussion in 'Pearl Harbor' started by OpanaPointer, Jan 11, 2012.

1. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana WW2|ORG Editor

Festung Guam wouldn't have been ready in time. SecWar and SecNav saw the writing on the wall for that one.

There's a report from King and Stark dated around the end of Oct. that sums up the state of our defenses. I'll see if I can dig it out of the PHA.

2. dna

dna New Member

To close the loop on Morrison, he does state the Japanese aircraft had the fuel to persue the 7th fleet 150 miles south, if necessary. This seems to be based on Fuchita's interrogation. He also notes they were prepared divert the attack, if the Pacific Fleet had turned up at a different island. The referenced document seems to confirm the other island searches and were directed to sink enemy ships- presumably including the target ships.

3. dna

dna New Member

I'd make Guam the 51st state and use the Chinese idea of territorial waters to claim the pacific from there to the west coast. Then convince Formosa to cede itself to Japan and have them do the same.

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Once Roosevelt started the the fuel restriction on Japan he knew the Japanese fleet had 6 months of fuel to spend on operations. After that the Japanese fleet was worthless. You either prepare or you donĀ“t.

5. OhneGewehr

OhneGewehr New Member

With the oil from the dutch colonies, they estimated to have enough oil for 2 years at war. Which was a good guess.
    And there was no way to change the situation soon, to build up a synthetic oil production would require sources which were needed otherwise.

OpanaPointer likes this.
  6. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana WW2|ORG Editor

How successful were the Dutch efforts to sabotage the NEI oil fields?