Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hunnicutt was a surprise

Discussion in 'Biographies and Everything Else' started by JBark, Jan 15, 2011.

1. JBark

JBark Member

I am in the final pages of Sherman: A History of the American medium Tank and have considered this read quite a surprise. For years this has been a holy grail for me and while the book is loaded with information and I find it fascinating to learn about I found the book to not cover what I wanted.

I did not expect so much coverage of what else the chasis was used for, the SPA and TD's, nor the coverage of the M3. While some mention of the M3 makes sense I don't see a history of the medium tank necessitating describing the TD's and SPA that shared the same chasis. Flame throwers and engineering vehicles make sense to me.

I was also surprised at the amount of technical data that was left out. I would have liked to see a discussion of some of the metalurgy of the steel used for the Shermans, for example. Historical data was light and I was wondering what Hunnicutt was trying to accomplish with his choices of battle descriptions.

I still found the book interesting and come away believing that 1940-45 must have been a fascinating time to have worked in the arms industry (all the horrors of death and war aside, of course.) So many companies involved in arms production, so many engineers and designers trying their hand at coming up with the best weapon or modification to a weapon. I am anxious to see if I can find any books that describe this process, a history of the American arms production and testing.