Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hunnicutt's books...

Discussion in 'Armor and Armored Fighting Vehicles' started by ickysdad, Jul 26, 2010.

1. ickysdad

ickysdad Member

Well I already had his books on halftracks,Armored Cars, the Pershing and the Sherman. This week I managed to get his book "Firepower" but at a $100.00 it wasn't cheap !!!!! LOL !!!! I'd also like to get his one on M-47/M-48 but lord the cheapest I see on Amazon is over $400.00!!!! LOL !!!! Anyways looking through "Firepower" it it's well worth it but hey I don't smoke or drink so....I highly recommend Hunnicutt's works.

2. JBark

JBark Member

It really irks me that the prices for these books are through the roof. Just like anything in this world there is a real price, reflective of the value of the goods, and there is a price inflated by some "circumstances." We all see what happened with the real estate market and "collectible" merchandise is no different. Inflated prices for a book which is out of print simply make great knowledge in accessible to students of history hungry for good information and insight. In my days as a cabinetmaker my coworkers and I sought out good tools, some of which were no longer made Our competition were collectors that wanted to put these tools on a shelf and never use them for their intended purpose. Too bad, I say.

I long for the day when a savy publisher will reprint the Sherman work or any of the other great armor works that are ridiculously overpriced.

3. m kenny

m kenny Member

The Sherman volume was recently (about 2 years ago?)reprinted.

It appears that secondhand booksellers use a mathematical formulae to work out how much a book should be sold for (say a low print run of 1000 books in 1945 works out at $200 ect) and they all stick to this baseline. If you check their lists it jumps out how they all manage to start from around the same figure be they in the USA or Australia.

4. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Yep, and I plunged in after years combing the listings.
    Worth every penny of the c.£90 I reckon, seemed to sell out immediately and return straight away to the £200-400 average it usually hovers at.

Maybe if there were more decent books on Allied armour we wouldn't all have to lurk on abe & ebay for years to pick up the 'classics'.
    eg. Fletcher's HMSO series took me about five years to obtain, and I think I've blanked how much they cost in total to stop myself bursting into tears - but in the absence of much else covering the territory it was money well spent.

If you want certain books - being prepared to wait and remaining properly on the case will nearly always lead you to them for acceptable prices, but the wait can be years.

~A

5. ickysdad

ickysdad Member

Von poop,
    Yes and last year I got a copy of Raven & Roberts book about British Battleships for about $39.95 when normally a person shells out about $150.00. Now my copy had a part of the back I had to reinforce with duct tape but to me it otherwise is in good shape. One has to be patient though and I figured when I seen one(Firepower) for about $100.00 I wanted to take advantage of it ,I've seen quite a few listings of not less then $300.00.

6. JBark

JBark Member

kenny writes:
    "The Sherman volume was recently (about 2 years ago?)reprinted."

Seriously? Now I have to shoot myself. I guess I have to wait for it to come around again.

Thanks for the info.