Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

I am looking for records of my Japanese Great Grandfather but am unable to find it.

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by DiegoMaxwell, Jan 15, 2020.

1. DiegoMaxwell

DiegoMaxwell New Member

I am currently looking for the records of my great grandfather who died during the war. The problem is that he served in the Imperial Japanese Navy and was vaguely registered as killed in Saipan. I am unable to find more detailed records anywhere else on what ship, rank or position he served in. Is there anywhere I can find more detailed records?

**Edit by Otto: to remove spammy links.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2020
  2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

If you're not fluent in Japanese you're going to have a tough time. You might inquire at forum.axishistory.com, there are plenty of Japanese historians who visit there. Good luck.

3. Carronade

Carronade Ace

"killed in Saipan" could mean that he was shore based. The majority of Japanese combat troops were Army of course, but Saipan was an important naval base, including land-based air units (Japan had no air force, the Army and Navy each had their own air units; I believe the aircraft on Saipan were mainly Navy). There were few if any Japanese ships at Saipan, although several were sunk or damaged in the Battle of the Philippine Sea nearby.

The island commander was Vice Admiral Nagumo Chuichi, commander of the Japanese carrier force from Pearl Harbor through the 1942 battles. He committed suicide towards the end of the battle for the island.

Good luck in your search and welcome to the forum.

4. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Useful info in the the response here so I'm leaving the thread visible.

It's worth noting this was a spam account run from India. Its extremely unlikely this poster's great grandfather was Japanese.