Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

I came over to check this place out...

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by brndirt1, Jul 8, 2008.

1. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

on the recommendation of a poster here "JCFalkenbergIII", and while I haven't yet posted I am impressed by what I see discussed.

My username of "brndirt" is in referrence to my old farm ties, and my use of the Elton John title "Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy". Back in the seventies when CB's became popular, I put them in our farm vehicles and Dad became "Captain Fantastic", and I the "Brown Dirt Cowboy".

My Dad was a C-47 enlinsted pilot in WW2 (blue pickle), and was rotated home after his final quota mission in 1944 so that he could instruct other multi-engine pilots in the wonderful "Dakota". He had been home since August of 1944, and managed a furlough for his own birthday in August of 1945, which happened to be the 9th.

He was home when the Nagaisaki bomb was dropped, but of course the entire "end" wasn't announced until he had returned to the USAAF base in Texas where he was instructing. He always told me that was the best "birthday gift" he ever got. He didn't have to go, he didn't have to teach others how to go, and everybody could start coming home.

I have been interested in the time-frame for many, many reasons. All but three of my mother's brothers were involved in WW2. Out of her family of 12, including the three sisters, the other five sons were lost in or to the time between 1940 and 1945.

I will contribute as I feel I can add something, but I will attempt to contain my posts to things besides "personal" reflections, or (hopefully) prejudice.

I sign off with "Happy Trails", since that is what I wish for all who read my pap, whether they agree or not.

Happy Trails,
    Clint.

Biak, A-58, Otto and 1 other person like this.
  2. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Welcome Clint!!!! Im glad you finally made it. There are few others here from THC too :). I was hoping that Bogey and lwolkow would make it here too. I hope you enjoy your stay. :)

3. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Welcome aboard Clint. That is a great introduction and hope you feel right at home here. Happy posting

4. bigfun

bigfun Ace

Welcome Clint!!
    Great to have you here! Thanks for the story about your Dad! Looking forward to hearing more! I love the personal accounts!

and who is this JCF you speak of?? He must be new here!:p;)

by the way, nice 'velle! '66?

5. krieg

krieg Ace

welcome aboard mate
    a good place here .. with very nice people
    enjoy your stay... cheers krieg

6. lopster

lopster recruit

seems an active site - only just discovered - but am after some pretty specific info - (have posted elsewhere ) re 3rd Carabiniers in Burma - brndrt I only hope you are using the moniker "brndrt" with your eyes open so-to-speak and are aware of Elt's innuendo - ;-)

7. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome Clint. If you post as much as Robert, we'll have to get a new ticker just to keep with all of them.

8. diddyriddick

diddyriddick Member

Welcome aboard, Sir! Glad you're here.

krieg likes this.
  9. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Welcome to the Forum, Clint! With JCF suggesting you come over you come with good credentials! Please do add personal accounts as it is what makes the history of World War II live. As you will see we are very fortunate to have some Veterans on the Forum. I look forward to your future posts.

10. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

G'day mate, I agree a great first post.:)

11. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Thanks for the welcome people, I do hope I can contribute to the forum and not be a "brain drain". And I am fully aware of the double meanings of brown dirt "lopster", but I don’t much care. I’ve shoveled enough of that stuff to not be insulted in that instance either.

And to "bigfun", that is my first new car, a ’67 SS-396. I ordered it sight unseen in the summer of 1966, and it was delivered Sept. 22nd of ’66. That story is long and complicated, and doesn’t really belong on the forum as it is really off-topic.

Anyhoo, I was contacted by its new owner (from Oregon) after he had traced down the original order forms and found my name. He was just trying to find out why it had all those "high-end" speed things on the order, and why it also had bench rather than the standard buckets? I sent him a letter back, explaining the choice and my e-mail address. He then, was kind enough to send me six photos of his re-do of my old SS. He did it in white pearl, not the stock Arctic White I had ordered it in (lucky guy). The only thing he did different, besides the paint in pearl, and something I never had was "fuzzy dice" hanging from the rear view mirror. He managed to find the stock wheel style it came with; the Mickey Thompson mags I had replaced them with were long gone.

That was a few years ago now, and at the time he was using it as a "daily driver", not a trailer queen. However, with the price of gas these days I am sure it gets less road time than it did in the past! When I owned it (‘66-‘67-’68) it got about 11 mpg on the highway if ya kept your foot out, and about 8 mpg in town. And that 350 hp version of the 396 wouldn’t run worth a damn on less than 95 octane. It had a 10.8 compression ratio, 4:11 gears with posi-trac, and a close ratio 4 speed Muncie "rock crusher" tranny. But at the time I owned it topping off its twenty gallon tank with high test would cost about $5 even if you had to put in eighteen gallons. Ah those were the days. :D

JCFalkenbergIII likes this.
  12. purljam

purljam Member

Hey Clint, good to see you made the transition from the "other" place. You will find a lot of great posts here, and very informative people. I'm more of a "brain drain" on these guys, because I don't have the complete knowledge they do. I just try to absorb and learn as much as I can.

And lastly, you won't find the mental anguish from that other place. Welcome aboard!

Slipdigit likes this.
  13. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Just as an aside. ALL my posts and threads over at THC from 1 Jul to 8 Jul were deleted!! LOL . Im glad I moved over here and that a few of my friends have too :).

14. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Glad to have all you gentlemen here. Jump on in and make yourselves at home. If come here a friend of Robert's, then that bodes well for the forum.

15. bigfun

bigfun Ace

it's good to have another gearhead on the forum! by the way, if you want to talk about your car, there is a "Free FIre Zone" for different topics! Anyway, thanks for the story on the car!

16. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Welcome on board. Good to see you are being recommended by one of our finest members

17. ghost_of_war

ghost_of_war Member

Welcome. Nice Chevelle....