Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

I Name this ship...... God bless all who sail in her...

Discussion in 'Living History' started by urqh, Feb 17, 2012.

1. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Which ship deserves to sail again? Or rather which ships name deserves to be
    ressurected from history..and for what reason...

We all have dozens we can roll of our tongues...Its hard to choose one...So top 3?

HMS Amethyst...Shot up and isolated while on her lawful duties sailing to Nanking. Her imprisonment and subsequent escape a long time later brought a filip the the dull Austerity lives of British people.. "Slip Anchor"

HMS Amethyst Yangtse Incident 8 of 9 - YouTube

HMS Ardent..singled herself out for targeting when she sat on the gunline in order to take all that could be thrown at San Carlos. The crew must have known the danger and their probable fate. But someone had to do it...they were there...and the old British Tommy saying rings out...we're here because we're here....Even the NAAFI civilian manager manned a gun on deck. Brave Ardent...God Bless all who sail in her..

HMS ARDENT THE FALKLANDS WAR - YouTube

HMS Gloworm....Whilst searching for a missing crewman presumed overboard, she ran into trouble...that was her job though...to search for trouble...she found it...And went out in a blaze of Royal Navy glory...The only Victoria Cross awarded on the word of an enemy commander. "Prepare To Ram"

DESTROYER HMS GLOWWORM AND HEAVY CRUISER ADMIRAL HIPPER - YouTube

For those in peril on the sea.....Today as always...

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

All fine choices, but Ardent is the most relevent to modern Britain and unless you got alot of ships I would be reluctant to name one after a worm or a flower, but hey, I'm a Battleship avatar guy anyway. :)

3. Marmat

Marmat Member

Attached Files:

4. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I always liked HMS Hood, but that's just me.

5. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

Difficult to stick to 3. SMS Goeben/Yavuz tops my list (IMO the most significant single warship in the XX century, a "fleet in being" all by herself on two seas!) , afterwards it gets more difficult but I'll go with SMS Emden (the WW1 one) and HMS Warspite.
    Looking for an Italian one RN Baionetta would rank high for historicaly significance (and because I had a relative on her of course) but the event she if best known for was too controversial for her to be preserved, and the rest of her career was uneventful, so I would go for RN Circe that better represents the "little ships" that kept the supplies flowing to NA over her better know sisters RN Sagittario and RN Lupo (both attacked agains high odds and Sagittario actually managed to protect her convoy (with a lot of help from the Luftwaffe) though it had to turn back.

urqh likes this.
  6. urqh

I like those choices TOS...not ones I would even have thought of never mind mention...Too many good ships...I'm surprised A58 didn't go for the Arizona though.

7. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

HMS Warspite.

An ancient Royal Navy name ( dating back to 1596 ! ) with the proud background of the QE-class version - and it sounds good, too.

8. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I thought about that, but Hood is a way cooler name than Arizona.

9. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

10. phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking Member

I can't help thinking that "Big" names like Hood and Warspite shouldn't be applied to the kind of piddling destroyers the RN commissions nowadays, no matter what their capabilities :(

But there's no way on God's earth that the name Ark Royal should be allowed to die :mad:

11. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

We had an HMAS Ardent in our patrol boat ranks in the 80s...
    One cant go past The Enterprise...

12. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Cracked has some good sh!t. I remember thinking Cracked would never last ( late 70's ), being the MAD super fan I was...How does Cracked comic go to being a news source in 2012?...Thanks for that Jugs...You've posted other stuff from there previously. Like it.

13. Takao

Takao Ace

YEAH RIGHT!

A Hood is something you wear to cover your head. You don't see an HMS Bowler, HMS Derby, HMS Tuque, etc.

It lacks the OOMPH! of Dreadnought, Battleaxe, Irresistible, Invincible, Implacable, Impregnable, Protector, Resolute, Retribution, Revenge, Scourge, Spiteful, Terror, Thunderer, Unbeaten, Unbending, undaunted, Vanquisher, Whirlwind, or Zealous. Now those are truly warship names!

But what can we Americans say. We name our most powerful ships after POLITICIANS!:eek::eek::eek:

14. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Battleaxe? you would really name a ship after your mother-in-law?

15. urqh

Battleaxe....has she been decommisioned then? Great name great ship....

Belsar....you gave us our first Battleaxe...one of the50 I think...

Was the sister ship of Broadsword in my day.

I don't know though, we still have one or two biggies...Bulwark..Ocean...2 new carriers on stream...Suppose the RFA Dwarf the fighting ladies though on the Ras duties.

16. Takao

Takao Ace

I knew I would get someone whom had read "Red Storm Rising".:)

Is there anything that inspires more fear in married men than the dreaded "Mother-in-Law".

@urqh,

Yes, the HMS Battleaxe is long gone from the RN - she was sold to Brazil in 1997, and is now serving the Brazilian Navy as the BNS Rademaker.

17. Carronade

Carronade Ace

you gave us our first Battleaxe...one of the 50 I think...

The 50 destroyers were given names of towns which were common to Britain and the US, therefore called the Town class, not to be confused with Town class cruisers, several of whose names like Gloucester and Manchester were also duplicated.

The name Battleaxe was briefly assigned to a Landing Ship Dock built in the US for Britain, but she was commissioned as HMS Eastway. There was also a US-built infantry landing ship (what we would call an attack transport) called Empire Battleaxe.

18. Carronade

Carronade Ace

And the next previous (if that's the right phrase) Ardent was a destroyer sunk at Jutland in WWI.

19. urqh

20. schwarzfeder

schwarzfeder Member

If I might enter this civil fray from the other side of the Atlantic, I wish to nominate the U.S. auxiliary cruiser Indianapolis CA35. For those unfamiliar with her saga, please check out Doug Stanton's fine book, "In Harm's Way". The treatment of her captain by the USN was just plain WRONG. Both he and his ship and the entire crew deserve to be memorialized.

Speaking of the Ark Royal, I saw her as a lad, and long may she wave. For Falklands War vessels let us not forget HMS Exeter.