Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

I only know name and service unit - how can I find military units and actions?

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Helen Wallbridge, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Helen Wallbridge

Helen Wallbridge New Member

Hi

I'm new here and I'm in England so I'm not familiar with American military records and archives. I have searched though previous posts but forgive me if I've missed this answer elsewhere.

I am researching Jewett A Callaway from Miami Florida who left his name on a wall in England before boarding a landing craft to Normandy.

I have found his enlistment paper with service number 34788989. Component of the army just says 7 Selectees (enlisted men). Jewett died in 1993 and I am no relation. How can I find out which unit he served with so I may trace his journey through the war (via war diaries?).

Many thanks.
    Helen

2. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

I found a Jewett A Callaway in the 1940 census for Florida, listed as a female, born about 1916. But could have been a typo for female. I also saw a Jewett Augustus Callaway draft card.

3. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

I was unable to find an obituary in a quick google search. I will do some more looking.

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Doesn't help much, but here is fis draft card.

[​IMG]

5. Helen Wallbridge

Thanks. Yes that is him (not female!) so from that I have family and address info. City directories have provided a trail of occupations. I have found marriage and death records, but just can't crack into his WW2 service. Thanks for your help.

6. Helen Wallbridge

Thank you!

7. Helen Wallbridge

8. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

Unfortunately, it was very short, and all it said was this: CALLAWAY -- "Jewett AS., 76, of of Hollywood, died March 5, 1993. All American Cremation & Burial Society."

9. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

Have you tried Ancestry and other family tree type genealogical websites? Someone might have left a tribute page or info on him. It appears he might have been cremated which is why I couldn't find a headstone or info on him at findagrave.

10. Helen Wallbridge

Thank you!

KMZgirl likes this.
  11. Helen Wallbridge

Yes I have looked through Ancestry and tried a newspaper archive search but nothing sadly.

KMZgirl likes this.
  12. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Helen, most all WWII records are archived at the NARA in St. Louis. This means records are open to the public. If you request a copy of Mr. Callaway's separation paper you may get lucky. What I mean is there was a terrible fire at the archives in 1973 which destroyed a great many of the records, but it's worth a shot. His separation paper could give you a lot of information regarding his unit, decorations, etc. I believe the cost for one document is $15 but I haven't requested anything for some time.
    You have the information you need to request this document--Name, Service number, date of birth, (I couldn't open Lou's link with the draft card, but it would show what state he was from). If you get the separation paper, please post it and we can help peace together some idea of his service. Good luck with your quest.

13. Tipnring

Tipnring Active Member

Pvt Jewitt A Callaway came home aboard the SS Frederick Victory Aug 1945.

img.jpeg
    The Miami Herald Miami, Florida 16 Aug 1945, Thu • Page 12

OpanaPointer likes this.