Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

I'd like to tell you a story

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by Armymom, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Armymom

Armymom Member

Hello all.
    I've been researching my dad's military history for about a year. I found this site a few days ago and have really enjoyed reading all the stories you all have posted and seeing the pics of the relics some of you have discovered.
    It was while reading one story about a find (I'm so sorry, but I can't remember the posters name) about a bracelet he found with a name on it and how he eventually located the family of this soldier.
    I would like to share my story with y'all, but from the other side.

When I was growing up, daddy spoke very little about his time in the service. I knew he was in WWII and was a POW, but I was too young to really be "interested" so I didn't question him.
    When I got older, I asked him a few questions, but it was clear that he wasn't comfortable talking about it, so I didn't push it. My mom told me that he was in the Battle of the Bulge and had been captured at St. Vith.
    Sadly, daddy passed away in 1999, so I never got to hear any of his war stories. About a year ago, I started trying to research his military history.
    My son (who is in the army) found some info on him through a geneology website. He was with A company, 81st Engineer Battalion, 106th Infantry Division. I found a website and decided to try to find someone who served with him.

The Wartime Memories Project - STALAG IIA

I checked the site every day for a couple of weeks, but never got a response, so I stopped checking and eventually forgot about it.
    As I said this was last year.
    A week ago, I recieved an email from someone. I didn't recognize the name and was going to delete it, but the title of the email stopped me. The title was my daddy's name.
    It was written in French, so I had no idea what it said. I sent it to a friend who knows a little bit of French and she translated it as best she could.

I know it's garbled and definitely not perfect, but this is her translation:

"Hello I am French and collector of hardware custom ww2 and I found a
    pertaining bag has Coleman G Davis. After some search I finished
    by found this article with your name!! Not speaking English I will
    like to know if this man had a link with you were it your father? Do
    you have of another photographs of him?"

I thank you in advance greeting has by hoping for you to have a
    response of your shares."

Now, my first thought was that this guy was probably a scammer. After all, daddy was captured 64 years ago, yet he found his bag intact?????
    I wrote back and asked if he could send a photo.

He wrote back almost immediately and included a photo of a bag. It had a number stenciled on the side. I compared it with my daddy's serial number and they matched!!! Needless to say, I sat there and cried like a baby!! LOL
    He said he found the bag at a farm in his region (Lorraine) in France.
    I wrote him saying I was interested in obtaining the bag.

This is his response (his translation)

It is with pleasure that i send back to you the bag of your
    father
    I am very respectful of these American Soldiers which come
    on the French ground helped has the liberation of our
    country in 1944
    I am 25 years old and i like this period since the 14 years
    and i collect all which concerns the American Army of this
    time. J'espere when it will make for you a beautiful
    memory of your father

Greeting Julian

texson66 and Kai-Petri like this.
  2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Most excellent, Armymom.

Could we impose upon you to post the pictures?

We have several "treasure" hunters (for the lack of a better word) here in the forum. One found a bracelet in the Hurtgen Forest and some of the good members here eventually tracked down the owner and returned it to his widow. We are always excited about this type of thing.

Edit---I'm an idiot...you mentioned the bracelet in your post.

3. Armymom

Armymom Member

Thank you Slipdigit.

Here is the pic of the bag:

[​IMG]

As soon as the bag arrives, I'll give an update!

4. Slipdigit

It looks to be in remarkable condition. Where did he say he found it?

5. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Wow. That is awesome. thanks for sharing

6. White Flight

White Flight Member

Armymom,

Thanks for sharing your story. The condition of his bag is amazing. Much better than my father's. Also amazing is Julian's efforts.

7. Armymom

Armymom Member

He said he found it on a farm. He didn't specify whether it was inside, although I'm assuming it was. It certainly doesn't look like it was exposed to the elements.

Oh, it was my pleasure. Thank y'all for reading it.

8. Slipdigit

I wonder how it ended up in Lorraine, France. That is a pretty good trot from St Vith Belgium. He most likely would not have had that bag with him, it would have been left for storage with a HQ unit. Two regiments and most of the support units of the 106th surrendered, along with the divisional HQ.

SGTLEO, who would have stored his overseas bag? Would it have been division, since he was in a support battalion?

9. Armymom

Armymom Member

Hmmm.
    Food for thought.
    Do you think this bag may not really belong to my dad??

10. Slipdigit

No, not at all. I was just wonder what trail it took to get there. I suspect, that it was taken by Germans when the bulk of the 106th surrendered, then, who knows what happened after that.

11. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

ArmyMom,

Thank you so much for sharing your story of this connection. The bag looks in great shape. It's wonderful that Julian is trying to get it to you.

Whenever I think of the things that were in our basement when I was growing up and that I just thought were related to my brother's militia service, I cringe - especially, since Dad ended up giving them away when we moved to another province and into a company apt when he worked in the oilsands.

I hope you make some additional connections to someone who knew your Dad or is related to someone who may have known him and has information to share with you.

Good Luck in your quest.

12. Armymom

Armymom Member

Thank you!

13. White Flight

White Flight Member

This link might be useful for you:
    Google Translate

You might consider sending Julian a link to this tread at some point.

14. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Great story Armymom!

Thanx for sharing it with us!

15. Armymom

Armymom Member

Thanks for the link White Flight. That will help out so much in the future!!!

16. Armymom

Armymom Member

Thank you!

17. Lee-dad was a WWII vet

Lee-dad was a WWII vet Member

Oh my gosh, that is simply incredible. I am so glad that you were able to be contacted about such a valuable item.
    Did the bag come to you yet, or are you still waiting?
    Good luck!

18. bigfun

bigfun Ace

I absolutely love these stories!! How great that he sent this back to you!!
    Thanks for sharing!

As for the trail it took to get that far away from where he was, I wonder about that too. Maybe it's a guy thing, wee need to figure stuff out you know! I would love to know the journey it took! But no matter!
    It's a great story!! Would love to hear more!!

19. Armymom

Armymom Member

Hello all!! It's so hard to believe it's been over a year since I first posted about my Father's bag. I haven't been on to up-date because of computer troubles, then the loss of of all my book marked sites as well as all passwords. Yesterday, I found my password!!!!:)
    So, to update: Yes, the bag came a couple of weeks before Christmas 2008. When the package came, I looked at the french post-mark and I hesitated in opening it. Not sure why. It was almost like I was afraid. Not sure if that makes any sense.
    Other than a few stains and a couple of tiny, tiny holes, the bag is in excellent condition to be 60+ years old.
    I had not breathed a word about the bag to my mom. She had been sick for over a year and I didn't want her to be disappointed if it didn't come, plus I wanted it to be my Christmas surprise to her. When I was able to present it to her, she was very emotional! I just wish my dad had been here to see it as well.

There was a write up on the story of the bag in our local paper. The reported called and said she thought it thought would make a great human interest story, especially during the holiday season. The feedback and support has been such a blessing!

My mom passed away 4 short months later. I am so thankful to Julien for finding me when he did so I could share it with her!!
    BTW, Julien and I still keep in contact. He's like part of my family. He will be visiting the US in a few months. Hopefully we will be able to finally meet. I would love that more than anything!!

So, there's my story. :)
    Thanks to each and every one for your interest and encouragement.
    I hope each of you have a happy and blessed New Year!!

Mona

dgmitchell likes this.
  20. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Amazing story and thank you for sharing it with us. I would also like to send my thanks to your Son for his service. And to you as a ArmyMom.