Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

ID this medal?

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by bronk7, Dec 1, 2015.

1. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

here is a medal I gave to my brother..it's part of the big collection my Uncle brought back from WW2....I ID'd everything except this.......sorry for the pictures he took...bad background! we have had it for a long time..I researched it a long time ago...
    .some type of 25 year loyalty deal?? AMT-office sieben -7.can anyone ID it?? thanks

Attached Files:

2. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

other side

Attached Files:

3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

4. SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE Member

I take it that both pictures come from the same medal. The medal is a civilian one , coming from the state of Bavaria "Freistaat Bayern". It honors the recipient for 25 years of voluntary service in the "Siebner-Amt" which could be translated as "The appointment as one of the Seven". These seven people formed a commission that had to deliver judgment on land disputes in their county. If two farmers could not agree on the exact border inbetween their land these seven men were to take a decision and replace or readjust the border markers, either stones, ditches or trees. This was an honorary appointment, you needed citizens that were of uttermost integrity and well respected by their neighbors.

EDIT: Blimey, I didn't see the link, I could have saved my time.

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

25 Years medal as a civil sevant at the town of Siebnen in Bavaria (Siebner with declination) The motto in the back is the Bavarian Motto (Im Treue Fest = hold in faith) . The heraldry is probably the one from the town . It must be a small village. Ther eis also a Siebnen in Switserland but the Bavarian Motto makes me think my first choic eis the good one. A picture of the heraldry will give yu a confirmation . Hope this helps

A-58 and Takao like this.
  6. Takao

Takao Ace

All of the time I have been a member of AHF, and I never came across Bronk there.

7. SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE Member

Sorry Skipper you are definitely wrong there! A"Siebner" is one of the seven in the voluntary committee that helps to settle disputes about property boundaries and keeps an eye on boundary markers!

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Thanks for the Siebner addition. However the only thing I got wrong is the Siebner name, thing which I believed was a place. I however got the 25 years service for the civil service and the Bavarian motto .

9. SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE Member

That's right! It's honoring 25 voluntary years of service as a "Siebner". AFAIK The term "Siebner" is only used in Bavaria. In other regions it is called "Feldgeschworener"

10. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

well done !!wow--yes that had to have been me...they wouldn't let me discuss popular subjects, such as the July 20 Plot, etc, so I adiosed...but the pictures don't look the same.....?! I don't know why he has ribbon on one and not the other ....definitely me, though, as I used the German word 'bruder''...seems like it's been longer than 2 years

yes Takao, I was there, but not too long....my collection should still be there

much, much thanks for replies...I forgot all about that medal, till recently, and the translations, etc bugged me since....

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

"Feldgeschworener" I love that title. "he who has taken the oath in the field" Very German isn't it? :cool:

[​IMG]