Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Idea for Otto and I seek opinions please.

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by C.Evans, Apr 3, 2001.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I get many many requests from people wanting veterans addresses. Well as most of their addresses are public knowledge anyway, I was thinking that maybe in the near future that all the vets addresses I have that are public knowledge, can be permanently put into its owm catagory.

My reason for this is because I only have limited time in giving these addresses out as I get close to 90 emails a day asking for veterans addresses.

So what I propose it to have them listed here on this forum which to my knowledge will be the only site on the world net (that I know of) to offer these addresses.

These addresses will be alphabetised and will include all info on these men that I know about. For instance, I will not give just a name and address, I will have all their ranks included. I have them divided into their branches of service where possible with all the Waffen SS and Kriegsmarine done and I am working on the Heer and Luftwaffe with many completed.

This will beneficial to all those who are interested in contacting the vets. Also, you would not have to go through me and then wait for an answer. I will include considerate guidelines on what to do and what not to do when contacting these men.

Let me know if you support this idea or if you do not, thanks for your time--C.Evans. :eek:

2. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Carl, I love the idea! I want to get started right away.

BTW, did you get my most recent email?

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thanks Otto, thats great. I will do 1-2 pages a day so it will be easy to do and easier for me to keep up with the names I already did. each page averages about 27 names and addresses. I will leave out (of course), the names of the men who I know have passed away to my knowledge.

If you prefer, I could still include the names and addresses to the deceased if you want to contact a family member. Appropriately, these names should have a symbol to indicate the deceased. I think a good symbol could be a cross, a helmet, a rifle stuck in the ground with a helmet resting on top or something like that.

Of course, I do not know how hard it would be for you to create such an icon so I leave this suggestion for your approval.

I have one question, when I get started on doing this list, should I email them to you, or what do you think I should do?

Take care, and I will try to check back here later today--yours-C.Evans. :confused: not confused-just a question. [​IMG]

4. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Thats a great idea. It'd be interesting to see if there are any near me - i've never met a WW2 Veteran, my Grandpa (an RAF Bombadier) passed away when i was about 6 so i never really knew anything about his experiance. Witha any luck, you might know someone from his squadrone etc. [​IMG]

5. Otto

Email is good Carl, send them whenever you are ready. I'm working on some major uploads to the archives right now, your veteran info will be a great addition to it.

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

OK; I will send it by email. You will have to let me know if you get this stuff because my email is still on the fritz (sorry for the pun-none intended) I will try to get started on this later today or by tomorrow afternoon at the latest.

Also, I do have the address to one RAF vet but I dont know if he is still living or not. I think I also have addresses for 2 Polish RAF vets too. The Polish RAF vets were in the battle of Britain, and the other was a Squadron Leader in the RAF after the Battle of Britain--Douglas Tidy who lives here in the USA and now is an American.

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

:eek: Sorry I forgot to answer you question Otto. Nope, the email didnt come through yet, but I will keep my eyes open for it.

Take care-sincerely-Carl.

8. Otto

I have been working on a little something with a British D-Day vet! I'll post it tommorow, I'm sure you will all love it.

9. Otto

I'll resend the emails right now.

[ 08 April 2001: Message edited by: Otto ]

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

OK, I will check it before I leave the library. I have been at 2 appointments today and have 3 for tomorrow so I havent had time to start the KC Address list yet, definately by tomorrow afternoon. :rolleyes: ;) [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. A.GREG

A.GREG Member

I'm amazed at how well you two work together, both of you make this site so good. Keep it up, I'm sure everyone else appreciates all your hard work to make this site better and better. [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thank you for the nice compliments. Otto is the one to get the credit since he does all the work.

I think that Otto is doing one heck of a good job, and hopefully the things I can type here for him will hopefully help his site out.

By the way, I voted to give you 4 stars for now but will try to up it a litle later (I accidentally pressed 4 instead of 5). Im also going to give my ratings to at least 1 person a day--its embarassing to be alone at the top.

Otto, I hope your rating by me has taken hold as I hope some of the others have too.

In my firm belief, everyone who contributes something here helps make the site better. I'm now anxiously awaiting my friend the teacher, to start posting here--then you will be reading some more great stuff.

A little background on "the teacher". I met this gentleman and his wife on a train going to Switzerland whilst I was in Germany WOW, now its been 7 months!! Anyway, he is a great history person and hopefully he will make his self known here soon. He is also getting ready to go back to Germany and tour some battlefields and hopefully will send copies of some photos here.

I want you to keep up the good work also. Take care and see you here. Cheers--Carl.

13. A.GREG

A.GREG Member

Thanks for the rating Evans, and glad to see you're spreading the word of the site. Seems like it is flourishing very well. And I would also agree when you stated that everyone makes this site better. I mean without everyone contributing their thoughts and opinions on this site, who knows what it would be like.

I also have another question, how do some people have quotes under all their posts? Is there someplace where you pick and choose or do you just make up your own? :confused:

14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Quite welcome. When I had my own site out there, this is along the lines of what I wanted it to be. Otto had several ideas that I never thought of and I have seen good ones from you and from others here.

I am very certain that in a year, this will be one of the most visited and liked sites out there.

I know that that will be a tough thing to do but, I think as long as there is someone here like Otto to do the "Dirty Work" and who listens, that this will be the SITE to belong to.

I only know of a very few sites that can compete with this one now. There are so many sites that I visit that I can now see where their problems lay.

This site has so much to offer someone now and with the changes soon to come I can only guess at what will happen.

Personally, I do like the fact that my efforts are being recognized here either by publicly made comments, email comments, the "awards" we earn by the # of posts--etc.

I try to encourage everyone to share what they can here. I know that if Otto had nothing more to do than to work on this site all day, that by the end of the year, it would easily be the best site going. I already think its the best site anyway.

Hopefully as the time passes, hopefully I can share stuff from my private collections of militaria and photos etc.

When I finish the Knights Cross Recipients addresses section, I have another project to work on for Ottos archives, which will give this site an edge with researchers.

I was contacted by a History Teacher about two months ago who wanted to have his students access this site and to participate on. I think he has to have permission to do so.

At any rate, WE ALL make a difference. I dont really need to get credit for anything here to like being a part of this site, but it is nice to be recognized oncet in awhile.

The project I am currently working on and future projects, I do want this forum to be credited for it. I have some decent and very rare photos that I want to share here also but its just a matter of having the time to get this stuff to Otto and for him to have the time to post it.

Notice the sniper photo? its one of the types of photos I would like to see posted here. The header photo with the what looks like Canadian soldiers to me, that is also a cool photo to see.

I just cant wait to see the changes when they are done. I think they will all be awsome in the least.

I am also trying to get the time to talk to a few vets and have their interviews for this site, but I just dont know when it will be possible for me to do that. A few of the vets I know are busy writing their memoirs to be published and some of the others are either on holiday or are too ill to do so at this time.

To answer your question, im not sure but I think you can post a quote with that symbol that looks like a 66 99 which is to the very right of the icons at the top of where you post.

Take care and im looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Ciao--Carl.

15. Otto

Andrew,

these people are using what is called a "signiature". To access youe click on "my profile" at the top right of any page, then on the next page, click on "View/Update Profile". On this page, there is an empty text box called "Signature :". In this box you can type anything you like, or even add an image to the bottom of all your posts.

16. A.GREG

A.GREG Member

Oh ok thanks Otto. I'm starting to feel stupid because I have so many questions for everyone here.

17. Otto

No problem, it me me along time to learn all this too. The good thing is that the more people know what's going on here, the more people can answer those questions in the future.