Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Identify battle/cruiseship from WWII 8mm footage

Discussion in 'Weapons & Technology in WWII' started by Dutchsteammachine, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Dutchsteammachine

Dutchsteammachine Member

I recently acquired two 8mm reels, one with Antwerp liberation footage and the other with footage of what looks like a battleship/cruiser/fregrat.

Getting both films scanned for YouTube. Would be great if the type or even name of ship and date could be identified for release.

I assume the film with the ship was taken around the same area. Unfortunately surroundings are not very clear.

Crops of recorded projection, not final scans.

Ship-projected-2_stitch.png Ship-projected-8.png Ship-projected-7.png Ship-projected-6.png Ship-projected-5.png

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

If a problem, I remove those, Otto.

3. Takao

Takao Ace

Riter and Kai-Petri like this.
  4. Dutchsteammachine

Dutchsteammachine Member

Thank you very much for your identification! I didn't realize it were two different ships until you mentioned.

The tiny spire in photo 3 is a church, these were almost certainly taken in Belgium near antwerp. I didn't know the usa had ships there for so long.

5. Dutchsteammachine

Dutchsteammachine Member

I think it is important I am transparent about why I am posting certain questions and what the answers are going to be used for.

If I don't say people may feel like their free time and knowledge is being used unfairly.

OpanaPointer likes this.
  6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

No problem Dutchteammachin!

Mostly we discuss the course of war not identification of planes, ships, people etc. However, I f we can, we do.Somebody just comes and asks about his grandad with little data and often we have somebody who can point the direction or even give the details already. Mostly I prefer the fact that we are friendly, respect each other, and we have experts in almost all military areas.And I just got one previous expert to return. We started as a 10-man group twenty years ago and now we have almost a million postings.

I have read some 700 books incl the Finnish front but mostly Ostfront and give my new details to the site. Trouble makers are driven away. We must have respect between us which seems to be a problem in many Forums. So getting old members back has been a bit tricky but not impossible.

I have some 250 military albums and I gladly share the photos here with other members.

Do join us for a longer time!

Kai-Petri

7. Takao

Takao Ace

Doesn't bother me as I enjoy looking at photos of WW2 ships and trying to identify them or give a time period.

Yes, I have been known to count port holes and their note their positions to tell one ship from another.

8. Dutchsteammachine

Dutchsteammachine Member

When I get the 8mm films scanned in 4K Overscan there will hopefully be enough detail to narrow down the exact ship... if not by bow number, maybe by other tiny details?

The detail that can be recovered from 16mm and even 8mm film from this era can be quite remarkable, if it was focused properly in camera and the right scanning equipment is used. It is a pity so many people have only seen crappy 1980s telecines made to vhs/betamax without genlock. And even modern documentaries continue to use 640x stock footage instead of the use the latest digitizations of newly discovered films. I am tired of seeing the same footage over and over.

Photo from my last delivery of several films, 1928 16mm.
    HDS+2.jpg

I am not so much of a history buff. When it comes to making a video and the description I don't want to get anything wrong. Context such as date, identification and location are really important because it puts the footage in perspective.

This website is remarkable in its knowledge, efforts and reach. I hope that that my contributions when it comes to film/still footage and audio are appreciated.

Kai-Petri likes this.
  9. Takao

Takao Ace

Look forward to seeing what you can do. Please post back here when the 4k scans are done, would be interesting to see what the hull numbers are, or whatever other details can be teased out.