Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Identifying medals from Grandads soldiers record book

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by simpo067, Apr 3, 2008.

1. simpo067

simpo067 recruit

Good day to you all.

I would like to enlist your help deciphering the entries in my Grandfathers record book, some are obvious but at least one isn't.

Listed verbatim

1939-45 star
    Egypt
    France and Germany
    Defence
    End of War
    Korean UK
    Korean UN

These should be chronological entries but the egypt entry has me stumped and the 1939-45 star at the beginning of the list also,so any help is appreciated, he received innoculations in egypt in 42 and 43 if that helps. The only thing I've been able to find that seems relevant is the africa star.

Thanks again.

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hello, welcome to this forum, I took the liberty to move your post to the new member section, this way many more people will read it and hopefully someone will be able to help. Maybe some more details would help, such as your father's branch, regiment etc..

3. simpo067

simpo067 recruit

I'm afraid I have no more detail apart from that he joined at Tidworth in 36 past that Im at a loss for information.

Regards

4. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Simpo, if you have no success here, try our sister forum, ww2talk.com. It has a higher Limey density than does this one.

5. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

BRITISH MEDALS

1939-1945 Star - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Try these two sites and look up the medals listed. It will help give you an idea of what campaigns in which he participated.

i.e. The wikipedia sites says:
    ÈThe 1939/45 Star was a campaign medal of the British Commonwealth, awarded for service in World War II. The medal was awarded for operational service between 3 September 1939 and 2 September 1945.
    • Army personnel had to complete 6 months service in an operational command. Airborne troops qualified if they had participated in any airborne operations and had completed 2 months service in a fully operational unit.
    • Air Force personnel had to participate in operations against the enemy providing that 2 months service had been completed in an operational unit. Non-aircrew personnel had to complete 6 months service in an area of operational army command.
    • Naval personnel qualified if they completed 6 months service, and at least 1 voyage was made through an operational area.
    The star was immediately awarded if the service period was terminated by death, disability or wounding. The award of a gallan or a Mention in Despatches also led to an immediate award.[1]È

I hope this helps!

Oh! And welcome to the forum!

6. Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein WWII Veteran

Hi Simpo067

A nice "easy to understand" site can be found here:
    British Gallantry, Orders, and Campaign ribbons.

The site designer, Peter Ghiringhelli, created it with people like yourself in mind and I always recommend it as a first port of call.

Regards

Ron

7. PeterG

PeterG Member

Hi Simpo067

Welcome to the forum. 'Egypt' is an unusual designation and may simply be a clerical error. If you grandfather served in Egypt between 10 June 1940 and 12 May 1943 he would have been awarded the Africa Star.

I see that he enlisted 1n 1936, so his 22 years service (if he completed a full army career) would have ended in 1958. In which case he may have taken part in the Suez Canal (i.e., Egypt) landings of 1956. Had he done so he would have been awarded the General Service medal with the 'Near East' bronze clasp.

Regards,

Peter

8. simpo067

simpo067 recruit

Peter

Thanks for that, the Africa Star was the only thing I could think of as the times fit, he left in 51 so too early for Suez.

Thanks again

9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

alexandria was an important center, maybe he did his training there prior to being sent to France in 1944

10. bigfun

bigfun Ace

Welcome Simpo,
    I wish you well on your research! I am looking forward to more!!

11. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome simpo. Since this is family history research, I've moved this thread to the appropriate forum.