Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Identifying My Relatives Position (photo included)

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Goat, Mar 25, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Goat

Goat New Member

Greetings,

I've received mixed information about my great grandfather's role in WWII on the German side and, while I have a decent photo of him, I was hoping that maybe some one or others with a keen eye and knowledge, may be able to identify some level of my grandfather's stature or, at least be able to recognize the medals here is wearing to help give me an idea about his past.

From what I've been told, he had something to do with vehicle production, I believe in the tank (possibly Tiger) department but, I question his actual service since he has various medals and, in the presented photos, appears to be a man of some stature beyond a mere worker. He is the older man second to the right, with his hands crossed and standing below Hitler's picture.

Attached Files:

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hello , your great grandfather appeared to have been an officer in A Wehrmacht Unit . He is wearing the Fahrer Abzeige (the bottom one ) which shows he was a driver (could be trucks or tanks) . So he could indeed have been a controller .These positions behind the front were reserved for older veterans and those who had been wounded.
    This seems logical according to his age (he appears to be a Great War Veteran ) and was decorated with the Iron Cross twice (the second class WW2 one is shown by the diagonal ribbon only) . He also was awarded the Verdienstkreuz mit Schwerten (merit cross with swords) .
    From what I see on the picture this was taken at his working place during breakfast . The man on his left could be his aide de camp , the two one the edge are younger fellows and have less or no decorations.
    Note the aide de camp is wearing the Verwundente Abzeige (wounded badge) and that several of the men were awarded the iron cross. Hope this helps.

4. Goat

Goat New Member

LRusso, thanks for the link as it's helped identify with at least one of the medals that I couldn't visibly make out until Skipper mentioned what it may be.

Skipper, thank-you very much for a quick and comprehensive bout of information. I had rather thought the first two from the top were an Iron Cross and the Merit Cross but, it was the bottom one in which I was unfamiliar with - it does look to be like a wound badge/medal, although that seems to be different from the actual driver patch that I've seen else where online which indicates a display driver ie: steering wheel with leaves around it.