Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

If a problem comes along, RAM IT !

Discussion in 'The Tanks of World War 2' started by Canadian_Super_Patriot, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Canadian_Super_Patriot

Canadian_Super_Patriot recruit

via TanksinWW2
  2. me262 phpbb3

me262 phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    "Should modern tankers be taught ramming tactics? The experience of the Great Patriotic War answers that in the affirmative."

i guess is just pure propaganda, coz, what are the chances of a tank get near the enemy tank? nill!!!!

3. sinissa

sinissa New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I think it is a decent chance for that,but when we considere modern guns,i think that is no need for raming tactics...

4. CrazyThumbs

CrazyThumbs New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I was actually a little surprised that ramming a tank could do that much damage to the roadwheels and treads. Interesting read, but the whole flaming tank ram sounded a bit too ridiculous.

5. BMG phpbb3

BMG phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    interesting tactics. it had a chance back then but it would most likely not happen today. it might happen in urban areas but not many other places.

it would be interesting watch though it turns war in to demolition derby. also i would like to see what happens when explosive reactive armour is involed.

6. redcoat

redcoat Ace

via TanksinWW2
    One of the first Tiger II's lost in combat was when a British Sherman rammed it during Operation Goodwood

7. sinissa

sinissa New Member

via TanksinWW2
    First tiger II was destroyed by T-34/85 ,3-4 of them from the ambush,in eastern front as i remember,Germans keep it as a seacret,Soviet did not know what they hited... :lol:

When we talk about Raming this one is interesting.
    http://www.elknet.pl/acestory/anabuki/anabuki.htm

Good site allso :)

8. Canadian_Super_Patriot

Canadian_Super_Patriot recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Well, think of it this way. If your against an enemy who is gaining tens of miles a day, and you have to fight to the death to slow him down, ramming your tank into theirs if your ammo is out is a good idea. Plus, the soviets can make many more tanks.

9. jeaguer

jeaguer New Member

via TanksinWW2

The tatsinskaia airport reference is a bit exaggerated as for the number of planes destroyed , incidentally they fought like terriers at the airport site , getting out losing all their tanks and most of their men , but the raid was a brilliant success sealing the fate of Stalingrad and giving the death blow to the logistic arm of the luftwaffe , witch never recovered

"during the Stalingrad counter-offensive the drivers of the 24th Tank Corps, having driven for 240 kilometers over five days, broke through to the train station Tatzinskaja on the morning of December 24, 1942. The station was the site of a German supply depot as well as two airfields basing over 300 enemy aircraft. The tankers had little ammunition left and so resorted to ramming the German planes on the ground... destroyed nearly 300 aircraft on the airfields themselves as well as a further 50 entrained at Tatzinskaja. the tankers helped to sever the German air link to encircled Sixth Army in Stalingrad, and deprived Mainstein's rescue offensive of vital air support.

10. Revere

Revere New Member

via TanksinWW2
    You would have to catch a Tiger II bye complete surprise to get close enough to ram it because it could blast you from a mile away.

11. Ome_Joop

Ome_Joop New Member

via TanksinWW2
    what damage did the sherman do by ramming?
    My guess would be : No damage...but maybe someone had some info about this?

12. Revere

Revere New Member

via TanksinWW2
    they took out welders and welded the Sherman to the tiger

13. redcoat

redcoat Ace

via TanksinWW2
    Unsure what the damage was, probably the shock at being rammed was enough to convince the crew to bale out :lol:

ps, The commander of the Sherman came back with a Sherman Firefly from his unit afterwards to finish off the Tiger II, KOing a Tiger I at the same time

14. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    early in the war russian fighter pilots sometimes rammed german bombers when all else failed ..actually sort of landed on top of the bomber then bailed out ..this tactic was approved as doctrine for a while so ramming in a tank is not so far fetched ...

15. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Similarly, there were whole squadrons in the JAAF whose mission was to ram B-29s that were bombing Japan. The idea was to take out the control surfaces, and hopefully you would then be able to land your plane, get it fixed, and do the same tomorrow. :eek:

16. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    ...and apparently Luftwaffe units flying specially armoured Fw190s with the same task against 8th AAF planes.

17. Che_Guevara

Che_Guevara New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Not for tanks, but for barricades, the Raumpanzer Tiger(P) / Rammtiger. I wonder which barricades the Nazis planned to destroy at this late stage of the War, they would have rather needed a vehicle to build some of them :p

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Che.

18. m kenny

m kenny Member

via TanksinWW2
    Sorry but that was in August. The first TII's were destroyed during Operation Goodwood on 18/7/44. 2 or 3 were destroyed.

19. Commando

Commando recruit

via TanksinWW2
    I'd hate to try and ram a tank on the Russian steppes. The ol Germans would see you coming way before you could hit them.

20. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    From the website linked above. Obviously, it was never the intention of Soviet tankers to come rolling across several kilometers of open steppe just to ram a German tank. It wasn't so much a planned tactic as an emergency measure.