Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

If interested............. .................... in seeing pictures of

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by C.Evans, Sep 10, 2002.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

some nice militaria--there will be some posted in the militaria section on this forum soon. I talked to two friends of mine lastnight at our monthly militaria meeting, and he will be taking pics of some of my stuff, and some of there stuff and will be posting them in that section.

Reason I announce this is, because if one is interested in seeing what real stuff looks like--it can help them a bit when looking to buy a piece. It will be a tool for learning. I have had many requests to show some of my stuff. Also, I want to write a piece on Iron Cross 2nd Classes.

I have an 1870 ek2, several 1914 ek 2s, and two 1939 ek2s. Im currently looking for a 1957 ek2--which shouldnt be difficult to get from a contact in Germany. Also, I will get a pic somewhere of an 1813 ek2 as well--to go with the article. I do not own onw ----- yet, but someday I will. ;)

Anyway--if anyone is interested--ill make updates on this as I get word from my friend who will be posting the pics.

2. Steve

Steve Member

Great idea Carl: As someone who is new to collecting Geman medals and badges (up to now I have collected US and Japanese), I would like to see pictures of the real thing just to get an idea of what I should be looking for. [​IMG]

3. volkbert

volkbert Member

A very good idea Carl! I am very interested in the pictures.
    Is it an idea that others also can send in pictures? Maybe we can judge each others items?

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Ok, Ill see whqat I can do and let me know what you have. Ill make sure Otto knows about this--we had discussed it before.

5. mott5ranch

mott5ranch Member

[​IMG]

OK Carl, I'm winging it here. I hope this picture of the 1870 Iron Cross comes through! This is my second post and I'm already trying to post a picture. Here goes nothing! ;)

6. mott5ranch

mott5ranch Member

It worked! It worked! My 80 I.Q. figured it out.
    Since we are showing crosses here is one of my favorites. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. mott5ranch

mott5ranch Member

Carl can explain about these crosses. Greg and Carl pulled these in last month. The sad part about these is that none of them are mine.

[​IMG]

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Glad you made it here Gary--now we can let these guys know what some REAL militaria looks like. You should tell about your posted badge as well.

Pic #1) Is my 1870 Iron Cross 2nd Class that I recently got about 3 weeks ago. It is mounted as a single Medal bar--or Parade mounted. Going values on 1870 Ek2s like mine are roughly $300.00 to $425.00 w/o 25 year Oak Leaves.

Pic #2) Is of one of Garys nicer 3rd reich awards. Im not sure what this one is called "Order of the White Eagle?" or something like that. Its a political or NSDAP award of somekind.

Pic #3) Is a potpourri of some of Gregs crosses from his collection. Greg currently has around 40 Iron Crosses including two 1870 EK2s and one with a 1914 Spange (which is extremely rare) If a soldier was awarded an 1870 ek2 at that time--he probably (just for arguments sake) was 20 yrs old. If he was 20 in 1870-1871, then since he won a clasp (spange) to his 1870 EK2 in ww1 (again for arguments sake) say in 1914, this man would be around 64 yrs old, and to have recieved another EK2 in a combat role.

Thanks for posting these Gary--that made my day..... [​IMG] :D

9. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Welcome, Greg! ;) Finally we have another militaria expert! (The other one was becoming a pain in the a... :D Not really. He is quite appreciated here. ;) )

Really nice photos! (Look! Another one who likes posting pics! [​IMG] )

10. mott5ranch

mott5ranch Member

The cased cross (by the phone) is an Eagle Order third class given to foreigners who assisted the Third Reich between 1930 and 1945. This particular award does NOT have swords. The awards with crossed swords are for help and assistance with the war effort in a military way such as arms, funds for arms, etc. Awards without swords were awarded for positive actions to help and support the Third Reich such as bank transactions, writings in major publications of the home nation, donations and support to Germans abroad, etc...(all else non-military)

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I'd rather be a pain than a....... :D

If im not mistaken--I think the eagles on the award are solid Gold.