Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

If 'Prüfstand XII' Was Successful? New York Blitzed By V-2's

Discussion in 'What If - European Theater - Western Front & Atlan' started by DarkIce, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkIce

DarkIce Dishonorably Discharged

We know the Nazis were close under Operation Prüfstand XII where a U-boat would have launched a V-2 on the United States. Say if New York was 'V-2ed' like England, is it possible the U.S. would pull out and redeploy those forces in the Pacific theatre where their primary enemy was?
    [​IMG]
    Advanced U-boat Class 'XXI Elektroboote' -Could operate without submerging
    [​IMG]

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Definitely some propaganda value but if heavy bombing of first Britain and then Germany did not make these countries pull out of war or collapse cannot see how a couple or a couple of hundred V2´s tops could make it.

3. Falcon Jun

Falcon Jun Ace

I'd say that if such a thing occurred, it would have further strengthened the US resolve. The only thing that the Germans could get out of it would be its propaganda value.

4. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Darkice,

I'm not trying to be ugly with you and appear to follow you around complaining, but you have to follow the rules concerning What If posts, or they will continue to be closed.
    http://www.ww2f.com/what-if/21335-what-if-forum-rules.html

First section of the rules:

Search the What If… section before posting to make sure your topic has not been discussed before. If it has, feel free to contribute to the existing thread. If not, create a new thread following these rules:
    • Make sure your question is clear and well thought out.
    • Provide background information on your question.
    • Provide your thoughts/theory on the subject.
    • DO NOT post only the question.
    • DO NOT post only 1-line of information.
    The rules went into effect Jan of this year, so you will see some What If that were started before then still floating around, but that does not mean that new ones that don't meet criteria will still be allowed.

Please revise your original post to meet the requirements or this thread will be closed.

5. DarkIce

DarkIce Dishonorably Discharged

I could not find any thread about Operation Prüfstand XII, and I did provide background information..

(Operation Prüfstand XII where a U-boat would have launched a V-2 on the United States.)

And I posted images regarding the topic plus my theory

(Say if New York was 'V-2ed' like England, is it possible the U.S. would pull out and redeploy those forces in the Pacific theatre where their primary enemy was?)

So why don't you just let my thread be, there are tons of useless what if threads sir and this is not one of them.

Now getting back on-topic. Kai-Petri, what really is interesting is that the Germans did start to create nuclear weapons at the very latest stage of the war and they wanted to develop a sort of V-2 derived ICBM. According to the Russians they found nuclear weapons research in an underground complex in Ebensee along with V-2's.

6. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Tsk tsk. Not the way to get into the good graces of the forum. Slipdigit was correct in that you did not provide your thoughts/theory to your posting. You posted a question.

As for the 'tons of useless' what if postings, well that is why these rules were put into effect and all of us here agreed to them. So when in Rome, do as the Romans do or end up in the coliseum.

As for answering your question, it is obvious that nothing other than propaganda value for the Germans would come out of this. The US had the resources to put an end to the sea launchings whereas Germany did not have the resources to continue such a campaign.

Slipdigit likes this.
  7. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

I suppose an U-Boot operating without submerging would suffer an even quicker fate than its submerging brothers.

Well, if you say so.

8. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I asked you politely.
    I provided a reference to the problems with the original post, in red, no less.
    You declined my request.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.