Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

IJAAF Tail Emblems

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Fargo, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Fargo

Fargo Active Member WW2|ORG Editor

Hello everyone,

I come once more with a new request for help. Anyway, a while back, I purchased an excellent book (one of the only books I've found) that serves as an effective guide to the commanding officers, aces, aircraft, and operational history of the various IJAAF units that served during the war. (Japanese Army Air Force Fighter Units and their Aces, 1931-1945 for those interested) Excitedly, I began to take notes of which units to draft an article about first and realized that I had no pictures to accompany the articles. Coming back to the problem at hand, I was wondering if anyone here with skill in design could draw some of these IJAAF Tail Emblems. I've done some myself but any extra help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

The link to the emblems I've designed so far. Feel free to improve/use them here if anyone needs.
    http://world-war-2.wikia.com/wiki/User%3AFargo84/Sandbox

2. Takao

Takao Ace

Just an FYI, you will probably want to add which Chutai the tail emblems belonged to as well.

For instance, your drawing for the 87th Sentai is blue, which would designate the aircraft as belonging to the 87th Sentai, 1st Chutai. The 87th's 2nd Chutai's tail emblem was in Red, and the 3rd Chutai had their tail emblem in Yellow.

And, your emblem for the 50th Sentai is Red which would designate it as belonging to the 1st Chutai, the 2nd Chutai had a yellow emblem, and the 3rd Chutai had a white one.

3. Fargo

Fargo Active Member WW2|ORG Editor

Thanks for the notice. I'll add the Chutai in the file description.

4. Takao

Takao Ace

An old thread over on AHF that might be of interest.
    http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=172282
    IIRC, mostly IJAAF, but some IJNAF.

Also, there was a fairly decent series(art-wise), published a few years back with Eduardo Cea doing the artwork, and the written material was translated by Sally-Ann Hopwood, and published by AF Editions. That covered pretty much all Japanese air units during World War II. The art was digital, but pretty good - there appeared to be some issues though with the digital transfer, as some of the artwork was very pixelated(thankfully, very few images appeared this way). The written material suffered from a "babblefish" translation, as if Ms. Hopwood, just ran the material through a computerized translator and directly transcribed the result - with no thought given to the fact that said translation makes no sense in English.
    Link to book #1 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Military-Aircraft-Fighters-1939-1945/dp/8496016870/ref=la_B001JOOICW_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1421206429&sr=1-1

Not quite worth paying full price for, but if you can find them cheap - used - on EBay or what not, definitely worth getting if that is where your interest lies.