Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Improvements to HOI

Discussion in 'Hearts of Iron' started by Tomcat, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

I was playing this game today, I was Russia fighting against virtually the whole world, now I had my navies at sea and tried to shift 2 BC's 4 Destroyers and a CV from Leningrad to Gibraltar. (Bear in mind I control the historic German ww2 areas such as France, Greece, Italy, Nowary, Denmark the Low COuntries, and also Spain.) Now every time I leave a port the USA CV's are there waiting (which is fine) but I thought it is very diffuclt to get your ships from one port to another, considering it wasn't this hard in ww2, So I though theat could need improving.

As well as your submarines, why is it that when a task forces shows up your SS flotilla's attempt to destroy it by themselves? I think there should be an option that allows you to set them up as hit and run.

Overall I just think they could work on the Navy side of things a little better, maybe a bit more detail in the battles, the ability of hit and runs and so on.

DO you have any ideas on improvements?

2. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Hearts of Iron 3 is just a few months away! :D

3. SOAR21

SOAR21 Member

One thing is that they set up a CHANCE of a battle. for example, in a large plot of sea, chances are that a naval force sneaking detection would be able to, so ur six-ships can leave port sneakily. The larger the fleet, especially screening ships, the larger chance of a battle. Also, the longer a fleet occupies a sea section, the better the chances of a battle.

They could also set up a flexible mentality system. An aggressive mentality would allow your ships to actively seek the enemy in a province, increasing the chance of a battle. A hunting mentality, especially for SS's, would allow the naval force to seek out the enemy, but retreat from large forces without engaging fully. A defensive mentality would be like the aggressive mentality. A sneaky mentality would allow a small fleet to slip right out under the enemy's noses.

I also think convoy raiding should be done without a mission: i.e. a fleet in a province that has the aggressive or defensive mentality can hit convoys. And, carrier air power is underrated, i think, a little. Carrier raids on bases do insignificant damage, unless mounted for a long period of time, and therefore allows the enemy to position ships to attack your fleet.

4. JTF-2

JTF-2 Member

A frew months??? I heard that it won't be until q4 :(

I hope your right tho!!!

5. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

So maybe more then a few months - its all the same really!

6. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Being the supreme commander of any given country you face the efforts and struggles of a nations leader at war. So in war battles occur men are lost and enemt men are captured, I think you should have to designate POW camps and then allocate men to them. Also there should be break outs and you should have to allocate more men to find them, as historical.

7. Joe

Joe Ace

If there is one thing I cannot wait for, It is this.