Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Incompetence-Navy Captains removed from command

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Engineer70, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Engineer70

Engineer70 Member

I have wondered how many Navy captains were removed from their posts because of sheer incompetence. I know that in the case of future Scientology founder, L.Ron Hubbard, then commanding PC-815 off the California coast, he was removed from command for engaging in a impromptu target practice where his weapons were aimed at-but did not hit-the Coronado Islands owned by Mexico, endangering lives.

How many other ship's captains or commanding officers of the Navies on all sides of World War II were removed from command for being reckless, careless, or for being plain stupid with their ships and their crews?

2. the_diego

the_diego Active Member

I'm glad capt gilbert hoover got the navy cross for his captaincy of the helena in 1942. his decision to leave the torpedoed juneu looks like a hurried/rash decision imho, and relieving him of his command may have been justified. but he was a darn good fighting captain.

3. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Strange, I was just wondering if the Captain of the "scientific" ship that lost that underwater drone to the Chinese was in trouble ?
    I know nothing about underwater drones but their nature is they are guided. Could not it be guided back near the control ship ? The Chinese vessel was shadowing the recovery as I understand it and and not a surprise. Of course the news is what it is so maybe not accurate..

4. R Leonard

R Leonard Member

Miles Browning, CO of Hornet (CV-12), comes to mind.

5. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Captain of the Chesapeake count here? Or was it just bad luck?

The Brobdingnagian expansion of the USN during the Recent War of Northern Aggression put several men into the great cabin who shouldn't have been there. Don't have a list for you, SecNav's Annual Reports may have that info readily available.

Or not.

6. Engineer70

Engineer70 Member

I know nothing of this incident, but let's keep it World War II oriented.

7. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

You've never heard of the Sullivan brothers?

[​IMG]

The five brothers were all lost with the sinking of the light cruiser Juneau, similar to the later Indianapolis the survivors were left in the water and sharks ate many of them. There were only ten survivors out of a crew of 673.

Gilbert Hoover was the Captain of the USS Helena and the senior surviving officer with the task force retiring after the November 12th Naval Battle of Guadalcanal. He had fought his ship well in that engagement and the earlier battle of Cape Esperance. When the Juneau was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine, he decided not to stop and search for survivors, instead shepherded the battered survivors on to Espiritu Santo. Halsey relieved him of command for the decision, but later had second thoughts. In retrospect given the condition of his force, the information available to him at the time, and the Navy's desperate need for ships in the continuing struggle for Guadalcanal, he probably made the correct decision.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Helena_(CL-50)

[​IMG]

USS Helena, a fighting ship!

Lastly, it is definitely WWII oriented.

8. Engineer70

Engineer70 Member

I'm sorry, but I got your post confused with another post, about the underwater drone captured by China. Indeed, I know of the Sullivan Brothers, they had two ships named for them, one in WW2 and one currently in service.

9. the_diego

the_diego Active Member

our dad's two cousins, brothers and filipinos, served in the USN during the war and after the juneau incident they were made to serve aboard different ships.

10. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nme/organization/Documents/POMI/U_S_%20Navy%20Policy%20on%20Family%20Members%20Serving%20Together,%20Sole%20Survivor%20Policy.htm