Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Individual Deceased Personnel File

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by kerrd5, Sep 18, 2011.

1. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

I went out to my mailbox 45 minutes ago to pick up yesterday’s mail where I found a CD mailer from the U.S. Army Human Resources Command.

I suspected it must have been the IDPF I requested and it was.

The CD contains the IDPF for PFC Arka R. Gibson, the only other B Company, 63rd Infantry Regiment, 6th Infantry Division, man besides my Uncle Tim
    who was KIA on 18 January 1945. It appears he died of a shell wound to the chest.

I must say I am pleased to receive a CD with a pdf. It is obviously cheaper for the Army to scan the documents and burn a CD than to copy and mail 57 pages.

I was surprised, though, that this came from Fort Knox and not Alexandria.
    I did not know that HRC had moved to KY. Now I know that it was the result of the BRAC.

https://www.hrc.army.mil/site/media/default.asp

Here is a revised sample letter to request one:

U.S. Army Human Resources Command
    ATTN: FOIA Office
    1600 Spearhead Division Avenue
    Fort Knox, KY 40122

Dear Sirs,

IAW with the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), I should like to request a copy of the Individual Deceased Personnel File for my uncle, John Smith, who died in World War II.

Below is his personal information:

- NAME: John Smith
    - ASN:
    - UNIT:
    - DATE OF DEATH:

I realize that this will take some time, and I will be patient. Naturally, I am prepared to pay any costs necessary for the production and mailing of the file.

Dave

mccann2nd likes this.
  2. syscom3

syscom3 Member

What else does the file contain? Could you post it for us to see (minus personal info)?

3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

And how long did it take for you to receive it? I sent away for an IDPF about a month ago. I'd just like to know when I can start feeling anxious about it showing up.

4. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

I requested it in late May.

Dave

5. TD-Tommy776

Yikes! :eek:

I was prepared to give you a "like", but that I didn't like to hear. (I know. Don't blame the messenger. ;) )

6. TD-Tommy776

I just got an email from the "Human Resources Center of Excellence" (phew! I was worried it would come from the HRC of Ineptitude) in Ft. Knox, KY acknowledging receipt of my IDPF request. Here's a portion of the email that may be of interest:

Emphasis added.

So, now the long, slow wait begins.

7. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

So the HRC sent you an email asking for your email address?

You gotta love those Federal employees.

Dave

Familyquestions likes this.
  8. TD-Tommy776

Yes, I got a chuckle out of that myself. Then it occurred to me that they probably used a form letter that was intended to be mailed, so I decided to give them a little slack.

Hey, Dave, have you had a chance to go through the IDPF you received back in September? It would be interesting to know what kinds of documents it contained.

9. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

Tom,

Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you the file when I get back to Carlisle
    next week.

Dave

10. TD-Tommy776

Incoming... ;)

11. TD-Tommy776

I got a call and a couple emails earlier today. One gave instructions on how to download my great uncle's IDPF, which I did a short while ago. I have only scanned through it thus far, but it looks like it was worth the effort and wait.

12. Lanman61

Lanman61 Member

To anyone who can answer: Are these files being requested ONLY for those who were killed in action or are they available for those who survived and have died at a later date? Also, are they only for certain specialties or is this seperate from NPRC in St Louis? Records requested from NPRC have apparently been destroyed in the '73 fire for both my father (ETO) and mother (PTO) and trying to piece together info is much like looking for a winning lottory ticket. ;-)

Thanks!

John

13. 693FA

693FA Member

14. mjmikelson

mjmikelson Member

I wonder how these records will differ from what we find in Missing Aircrew Reports, for those who were in the AAF during WWII? They might tell info about disposition of personal items and the like, but I would doubt they'd have more info than what the MACR would proived. Has anyone out there given that a go?

Thanks!

Michael

15. TD-Tommy776

Michael, I haven't seen a MACR, so I can't offer a comparison. However, I did receive an IDPF for my great uncle (see above) and have had the opportunity to see other IDPFs. At a minimum, it contains the records of how the deceased soldier and his personal effects were handled. However, it is not unusual for an IDPF to contain some other information as well. In the case of my great uncle's file, it contained there was actually quite a bit of interesting information, which I won't mention in detail here. Though, I will say that it did indicate in which part of his body he was mortally wounded. I should add that his IDPF also raised some questions, too. More research to do!

There is no guarantee that anything substantial will be gleaned from a given IDPF. However, one is no worse off than they would be had they not requested it. So my recommendation is to roll the dice and see what happens.

16. 693FA

693FA Member

Have to echo TD's statement here and say roll the dice....I too recently received an IDPF for my great uncle hoping for the mother load and got the minimum....copies of correspondence to his father and wife, what personal effects etc were sent back and so forth. Not allot but glad I did it anyway!

17. Clementine

Clementine Member

Does the IDPF contain information about where the person was buried? Or does anyone have any idea where to get that information?

18. 36thID

36thID Member

Hi Clem,

Yes it does. With my uncle, his remains where moved 3 times and each time was well documented.

19. TD-Tommy776

That was also the case with Glenn's IDPF. He was also moved 3 times (déja vu). It documented the cemetery name, as well as the name, ASN & unit of those buried on either side of him. I'm not sure if this is normal, but in my case, I was not charged a dime to get the IDPF. So, since it only cost me a little time to fill out the form and the price of a stamp, I think I got a pretty good deal.

20. Clementine

Clementine Member

Oh, good. I sent in a request for the IDPF for the man in Dad's unit that was killed. His family said they don't even know where he is buried, (I applied before I found them, or I would have left it up to them.) I know it was a different day and that there wasn't instant communication, but that just bothers me. I was wondering how to find out where he is buried, and I'd even like to arrange to have something put on the grave, if we can find it and arrange it.

I received a letter saying my request was received and that it would take a few weeks, so hopefully there is something on file and I will receive it soon.

Thanks!