Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Infantry Aces

Discussion in 'ETO, MTO and the Eastern Front' started by Greg, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Greg

Greg Member

I just bought and began to read Infantry Aces. Its about the soldiers (Infantry) who earned the Knights Cross and it describes the events that lead up to earning it such as earning the EKI and II, and the event itself as well as what happened to them the rest of the war. So far a great read. :eek:

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I have a copy of Infantry Aces too. Im still trying to finish reading Panzer Aces and im on the last soldier--just finished reading about Michael Wittmann. I thought the stories about Hermann Bix, were the most interesting, then Maj Dr. Bake.

Ill be reading Infantry Aces as soon as I finish with panzer Aces.

3. Greg

Greg Member

Hey Carl, is Panzer Aces any good?

4. volkbert

volkbert Member

I don't know the book Infantery aces but it sounds very interesting. Can you tell me the ISBN number and name of the author?

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Greg--Panzer Aces is excellent. The most interesting stories I thought--were about Hermann Bix and Maj Dr. Bake. Im still reading about the Leutnant who is in command of a platoon of Nashorns on the Eastern Front.

Volkbert--the author is Franz Kurowski. He did both these books: Panzer Aces and Infantry Aces. I also have three other books by him which are: Knights Cross holders of the Afrika Korps, KC holders of the Uboats and KC holders of the Fallschirmjager. All are good referance books--decently done but with mistakes as I believe Kurowski or the publisher (Schiffer) rushed them to print.

6. charlie don't surf

charlie don't surf Member

One thing I've always wondered about panzer aces is where he obtained all the quotes, I mean- it's on the brink of fiction, moving on very thin ice. Still, it's very nice to read and it has some very good information.

regards

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Kurowiski has interviewed tons of vets, and has had access to the vets memoirs etc.

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I do wish he would spend more time on the bio's though, but as you said Carl, sometimes publishers have pre-set dates and the author has to get everything in for type-set or it will not meet their deadlines and the author loses in a big way. Sad because many times new and important information along with photos will come but because of shortage of time and printing placements these items cannot be converted into the book(s)......boo-hoo..... :(

E

9. charlie don't surf

Still, when were the memoirs written and when did he interview the veterans. The amount of time passed since the event is very important to credence.

regards

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thanks Erich.

and CDS, I done know when he interviewed all his vets--but I suppose he has done so for at least 30 years or more--and BTW--he also was a ww2 German vet.

11. charlie don't surf

I didn't know that, perhaps I've misjudged him a bit.

regards

12. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

CDS and Carl :

Being part of a vets organization has it's many advantages, and one is having a listing of every living vet in the unit. I can speak of being a freidn of the US 352nd fighter group. Two years ago I was sent from the representative a book listing all the pilots/crewmen still alive and their phone/adresses.....

So Franz I am sure got on the wagon and moved along to interview as many as he could through his own personal contacts, phone book(s) and most probably security/police friends. There is quite a notable police offizier in Germany who has an incredible photo collection of living and deceased Luftwaffe pilots. How did he get his info you ask ........ ah yes you can figure it out !

E

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I totally agree with you my friend.

PS, are you still wearing the SA Cap?--you gotta keep that sun out of your eyes when hiking ;)

14. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Yep sure am Carl ! With my greying hair it makes me look like one of the ancient ones, but I don't give a rats rump.....hey, thanks again. :D

E

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Ive got Blonde hair, and in a few years it will be as white as--GOD forbid--as white as phil donahues is--and I cant stand phil donahue. I wonder how he got such a beautiful wife? :confused: :confused: :confused:

16. Miller

Miller Member

This book caught my eye the other day in my local book store. I didn't get much time to look through it. Has anyone read it here? Reccomended?

[​IMG]

17. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Is this the one by Gordon Williamson ? I tend to steer clear of his books as I have found his writings to be rather too sympathetic and admiring of his subject.....

18. Miller

Miller Member

No it's by Frank Kurowski.

19. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Kurowski's books ( and I have one or two of them ) are very biased and uncritical of the German POV.

20. Miller

Miller Member

Thanks for the heads up Martin.