Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Interesting production insights into Kelly's Heroes

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by gtblackwell, Sep 4, 2016.

1. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

I always suspected/knew the 'Tiger's' were redressed Russian tanks, but that Eastwood was to sing the opening theme song was a surprise. Probably best as I have heard him sing before, great actor, superb director, singer...........:). On that topic when I first saw the film I was taken aback by the use of what might be called a pop tune for war movie, but after viewing the film as a whole I found it fit the production well.

3. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

What a good film, I've probably watched it too many times.

The theme song is quirky but fit in perfectly with the feel of the film, especially Oddball and his merry band of hippies. I did know it was sung by Eastwood as I have a vinyl of the theme lying around somewhere, and it credits him.

The track links on the "Tigers" in the film are clearly from T-34s and the road wheels do not overlap as they do on a Tiger. There are three replica tigers in the town during the final battle scene, 112, 113 (hit by paint), and 115 which is the one commanded by the mighty Karl Otto Alberty. He's that sinister looking guy that drops down from his tank level by level in the final showdown scene.

Saving Private Ryan did the same thing to get their "Tiger", using a T-34 and modifying it. I can't imagine there are many operational Tigers out there, never mind ones that anyone would subject to the task of shooting films scenes over and over.

Yes, I've watched it far too many times.

4. gtblackwell

I agree, it is to me a film that dos not fit any catagory exacting, a type of war comedy that usually fail but here it clearly does not. Everytime it comes on I stop what I am doing to watch.

There was a documentary some years ago on Converting surplus T 34's to look like German tanks. Welding sheet steel on to gain resemblance. Sure beats the Battle of the Bulge efforts.!

Totally agree the music is oddly perfect.

Gaines

5. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

A good film? No. I think it's a low comedy that doesn't try to fool the audience by pretending to be a good film with some clever message. It's all tongue-in-cheek with the audience participating in the joke. It lampoons every GI stereotype that Hollywood had established in earlier films, and it matters because this was the first movie to do that. There is no noble hero, no weepy coward that mans up when the chips are down, no country boy uttering some stale truism his Pappy told him, no guy having flashbacks to the loyal wife waiting at home, no patriotic message, no anti-war message, no pretensions at all. And that's why it's fun.

6. Otto

I expected you to follow up that first sentence with why it wasn't a good film, but you did the exact opposite. :)

A film's job is to tell a story, the better it draws you into that story the better it is. It doesnt have to be realistic, just tell a good story.

Kelly's Heroes isn't a war film, its a heist film that happens to occur in WW2. They assemble a crew and go for the treasure. You get drawn into the story despite all the ridiculous aspects. In fact the ridiculous aspects are what make the film.

In my opinion its a worthy film because its manages to draw you into the story no matter how many odd turns the story takes. Its the odd turns that make the film.

7. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I must be using some socially relevant gauge to say it isn't a "good" film, which is quite unlike me. Yeah, for pure entertainment it's a very good film.

Compare it to MASH or Catch 22, war comedies that are elevated by critics because of the "message" rather than the comedy. Those are considered good or great films even though they seem dated and trite by modern standards.

I don't have that problem with KH. I can chuckle at Oddball or accept the Tiger tank commander's about-face without much thought. I laugh, so it must be a good film.

8. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'll try to look at it from this point of view next time I watch it. I never have liked the film.

9. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Try watching it while having a few beers first, just to get into the mood.

10. Otto

How dare you sir?

11. Owen

Owen O

I think I have only watched it once all the way through.

12. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Though I know better I will correct the boss once again.

Eastwood did not sing in the theme song for the film, but rather did a version that was not used in the film. I guess he didn't have quite the clout he had in Bronco Billy :)

Otto likes this.
  13. Carronade

Carronade Ace

There is currently one operational Tiger, which appeared in the movie Fury. It belongs to a British museum whose name escapes me.

14. gtblackwell

Bovington Tank Museum, near Salisbury, a must see place, has that operational Tiger I in Fury, Samur, another must see, has an operating Tiger II .

Gaines

15. belasar

belasar Court Jester

I think France has/had a running King Tiger I saw running in a video awhile back, sounded like it was about fly apart at any moment and was moving very slowly over ideal road conditions.

16. Otto

Thats it, you pay will be cut in half!

However, I can wriggle out of this one also. I said Eastwood had sung the theme, not necessarily the one used in the film, which is in fact true. The in-movie version is clearly a few octaves too high to have Eastwood involved. I have this vinyl where he sings Burning Bridges, though you might be able to classify his effort as borderline spoken word.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4ui-7Rjc-N8

17. rkline56

rkline56 USS Oklahoma City CG5

No "negative waves" in here or Oddball will have to change Gavin Macleod's Fez again.

Crapgame: Hey, Oddball, this is your hour of glory. And you're chickening out!
    Oddball: To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers.
    Kelly: Nobody's asking you to be a hero.
    Oddball: No? Then YOU sit up in that turret baby.

Otto likes this.
  18. Owen

Owen O

are they wearing the full M1 helmet or is it just the helmet liner with cam net on it?
    helmet looks a bit small on Clint's head.
    maybe he needs a haircut.
    I suppose if it was the liner there'd be rivets visable.

[​IMG]

19. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Clint might be a bucket head, that helmet he's wearing appears to have a liner as well. Notice the liner straps snapped over the front portion of the helmet. Big Joe looks to be wearing the liner/steel pot combination as well. It appears the liner is visible in the front underside near his forehead.

Now with Oddball, his headgear appears to be AAF issue. I've always romanticized the notion that he flunked out of flight school AND glider school, but kept the aviators headgear like Radar kept his teddy bear. There's just some things you can't give up. At least that's the way I thought of it as a kid.

Otto likes this.