Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Interview with Steven Zaloga

Discussion in 'Weapons & Technology in WWII' started by Walter_Sobchak, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Member

This past October I was able to do a phone interview with noted tank expert and writer Steven Zaloga. Topics addressed include his take on the film "Fury", myths about the M4 Sherman, the state of tank preservation in the US, and his opinion of the book "Death Traps." Obviously I am biased, but I think it's a very interesting read for anyone who cares about WW2 tanks and armor. I'll post the first few paragraphs, if people want to read more they can find the rest at my blog. I hope people enjoy it.

For the rest of the interview, click here.

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Great interview, Walter. Thanks for posting it.

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Very interesting and worthwhile indeed. Many thanks for sharing it with us !

4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Thank you! If the film is good enough for him, then who are we to argue?

5. MLW

MLW recruit

6. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Good thread. The Sherman vs just about anything has gone on for decades but continuous to produce near information. My movie views tend to reflect Steve Zagola's. I thought SPR did a good job in general on equipment, the two scopes on the same gun I thought a funny mistake. I had not realized their were two 03A3 sniper versions until someone took them to task for using the wrong one..

Marc, I enjoyed reading both your links. Maybe the Colonel's should be required reading before entering a Sherman vs discussion ! I imagine any tanker lived with a certain amount of anxiety in combat given the visibility but if I were in a Sherman and if only a few Mark V's and VI's were about I would have imaged a 75HV or 88 hitting my machine....but anxiety must be part of a;ll combat.

7. harolds

harolds Member

IMHO, Lt. Colonel Irzyk's article seemed to be written shortly after the war and was, in part, a defense or our armored doctrine during the war. To put it mildly, that doctrine is not above criticism.

8. MLW

MLW recruit

I checked my notes and realize now that the article was written in either late 1945 or in 1946. I am sure it was written with an agenda in mind. We just need to stay aware of that when we read it.

Regards, Marc

9. Highway70

Highway70 Member

Albin F. Irzyk author of article linked by MLW http://en.ww2awards.com/person/34634/ commanded a Battalion of the Fourth Armored Division - the spearhead of Patton's Third Army across much of Europe. He served in the Army for 31 years, retiring in 1971.

More info on him http://www.freedomhistory.com/patton.php

Books written by him:

Tanks And Armored Vehicles 1900-1945

A Warriors Quilt of Personal Military History

He Rode Upfront with Patton

Gasoline To Patton, A Different War

Unsung Heroes, Saving Saigon