Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Interview with zero pilot

Discussion in 'Air War in the Pacific' started by Kai-Petri, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Japan at War: interview with a Zero pilot

Komachi Sadamu, his first campaign was on 8 December 1941, his last battle was fought on 17 August 1945. An Imperial Japanese Navy pilot who fought throughout the Pacific right from the outset of the war until two days after Japan's surrender tells his story.

2. Falcon Jun

Falcon Jun Ace

Quite an interesting read. Some guys just have the knack of being a survivor. Thanks for posting the website.

3. Biak

Biak Adjutant Patron  

I can't believe this post only has one comment. This link can surely answer a few question about the mind-set and capabilities of the Japanese forces in WW2.

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member Patron  

You're right Biak. An incredible read. It just went into my bookmarks for a full examination later. I really enjoy reading first hand accounts, from all sides.

I'm sure there is a ton of this kind of information from older posts that I just haven't had time to dig up. So many posts, so little time.

5. Biak

Biak Adjutant Patron  

Lou, I just found a few more than I'm interested in. Bumped another to the "front page" and bookmarked some more too.

6. Karma

Karma Member

Fantastic read. Thanks very much.

7. surfersami

surfersami Member

It is incredible that he survived the war start to finish!

8. Carl W Schwamberger

Carl W Schwamberger Ace

Some folks avoid this kind of thing as they prefer the myths. Also I've been told by a couple people that eyewitness accounts are worthless & to be avoided. they lecture to me how the writing of academic historians are the only way to get the "facts".

Saburo Saki left some very interesting descriptions of his experince as a naval fighter pilot. Those were translated to English back in the 1950s & 1960s. They created quite a sensation when published back then.

9. John Dudek

John Dudek Member

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing!

10. wwiifan1

wwiifan1 Member

Unbelievible how he survived from Pearl Harbor all the way to the end of the war! Amazing interview!

11. hdblue

hdblue recruit

Hi,

Thanks for all. Good luck for you. I have some my ideals. I'll share soon again.

If you want to do more info, you also visit at: Pilot interview questions
    Tks again.

12. mac_bolan00

mac_bolan00 Member

looks like this guy was thicker in the action than sakai. he was at pearl harbor and coral sea.

after sakai's publish book "samurai," he was interviewed a number of times, and even invited to fly a p-51D (don't think he ever had the chance to fight a mustang.) one telling thing about the interviews was when he was asked which feature in the zero he liked best. it wasn't the outstanding maneuverability or the long loiter time. what he liked best were the twin .25-caliber machine guns on top of the cowling that lined up perfectly along the pilot's line-of-sight. it was perfect for snap-shooting at the enemy's cockpit whenever he came within 50 meters. is that a trained killer or what?

13. CactusJackSlade

CactusJackSlade Member

Interesting view into his experience - thanks for posting the link!

CJS

14. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

Amazing description of his views especially how frustrated he was with the radios......I am sure all pilots of WWII knew of the importance of the ability to communicate when you are so heavily committed to a mission. Any malfunction of your "tools of the trade" would be a very great frustration. He clearly describes how the "top" didn't realize the real predicament of the fight in the skies with their attention based more intently on the striking forces instead of defense of the carrier.

15. CPL Punishment

CPL Punishment Member

Surely you mean twin 7.7mm (.30 cal) MGs? Unless this refers to a A6M variant I'm not aware of...

16. Vanir

Vanir Member

I thought that too CPL Punishment, but I've heard some vets remember things which are faithful renditions but technically inaccurate, Brown's 190D-9 evaluation was actually a D-12 as it turned out (ergo US postwar D-9 evaluations are dramatically different to Brown's and they considered them much more of an impressive hack than a superior performer), one of Reschke's Ta-152 flight accounts mentions one engine type specifically although his own pilot book records a different model with another engine type for that particular flight (when brought up he deferred to the record and a blurred memory which is perfectly reasonable and by no means infringes the gentleman's overall veracity...just you'd double check any personal account with technical/official records if you were writing an encyclopedia obviously).

Since by 1945 zeroes still being produced were routinely fitted with one or two .50 calibres in the nose (one actually but because the water injection guage went where the other breech would've been iirc), this particular Japanese pilot probably just remembers the earlier nose armament as half the calibre of the later one. You could roughly say from a field point of view, the 7.7mm is half the calibre of the 12.7mm so he probably just remembers it that way, and the fact Japan was metric back then so he's not very accustomed to imperial calibres. Saying ".25 calibre" only sounds so wrong because we're all so used to american nomenclature of .30 calibre and .50 calibre in the Brownings, this vet might think the 7.92 is a .30 and the 7.7 is a .25 because he's so used to metric and a .303 is way more powerful than a 7.7mm Japanese or Italian.

17. Messy1

Messy1 Member

Interesting article. Thanks for posting.

18. Colonel FOG

Colonel FOG Member

A pleasant and informative read. Thanks for posting it.

19. kerryjennings110

kerryjennings110 recruit

20. Carronade

Carronade Ace Patron  

Just ran across this - thanks to Kai-Petri whenever he has a chance to read this.

One comment, the heavier machine guns fitted to some later Zero models were 13.2mm, which would be about .52 caliber.