Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Iraqi equipment and dress during the Second World War.

Discussion in 'North Africa and the Mediterranean' started by NihonNOGAY, Jul 23, 2018.

1. NihonNOGAY

NihonNOGAY New Member

I need to know what Iraqi soldiers fighting the British were wearing and what they were equipped with, and also what the Iraqi Army operated in terms of tanks, artillery etc..
    I've couple times tried to find this information online but didn't find anything besides a list of what Germany sent to Iraq in terms of planes and a bit about what Italy sent in terms of Planes. I also found this: List of former equipment of the Iraqi Army - Wikipedia, and as you may be able to see, it answers one of my questions somewhat, but I'm unsure which of the "Pre-1958 Equipment" Iraq used in the war. I was thinking about buying a book and hopefully finding some answers to my questions. It would be very helpful if you could answer my questions, or at least one of them and if possible recommend a book about the subject.
    Thanks best regards,
    E.

2. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

Hello Nihon, I unfortunately do not have the answer to all of your questions, but I do know a bit about one. The Iraqi Air force before the Anlgo-Iraqi war was largely dependent on the Royal Air Force, as a result of this, the Iraqi air force was made up of mostly RAF aircraft, with some Italian Breda Ba.65 and Savoia-Marchetti SM-79's as well. When war did breakout between Iraq and the UK, the Iraqis' had no real airforce of their own, and instead relied upon Italian and German assistance. The Germans created a whole unit that was to be the Iraqi air force, the Fliegerfuhrer Irak, (Flyer Command Iraq) however, no Iraqis' flew these aircraft. The Flyer Command Iraq was equipped with Messerschmidt BF-110's, Heinkel He-111's, Junkers Ju-52's and Ju-90's, this unit operated out of Mosul and clashed with the RAF frequently. That is about the extent of my knowledge on the Iraqis' during the invasion here are some other sources you can look too.
    Fliegerführer Irak - Wikipedia

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018