Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Irish Vetrans

Discussion in 'Living History' started by urqh, Feb 7, 2013.

1. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Yesterdays Irish Parliament business....A long time coming, absolutely the right thing.

Part of yesterdays Business...

There’s an extended lunch break, before members get back together at 4:30pm to see Alan Shatter introduce legislation which would grant a legal pardon to Army deserters who fought in World War II. The law pardons about 5,000 Irish soldiers who joined the Allies and were stripped of their Defence Forces pay and pensions when they returned.

Well done Ireland.

2. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Interesting. I had no idea so many of the Irish were deserters from the Republic.

3. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Thats just the members of the Irish forces obviously KB....They lost out in many ways.

My own father and his brother crossed the border in 41 or 42, and joined the Royal Navy. Many more Irish folk from south of the border did so too...Only they were not deserting the Irish uniform. The deserters as I suppose they could be termed...Must have had a bad enough time on coming home just for joining the Brits let alone taking off their original uniform. Its a sad tale I suppose, many won't be around anymore to see this day.

4. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Yes, I realize this is just referring to members of the Republican army. That's a LOT of men from a rather small army, and a great tribute to Irish character.