Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Iron cross second class ribbon and ost front ribbon

Discussion in 'World War 2 Hobbies' started by aquist, Jun 18, 2006.

1. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    I have both. and
    Will put them in my second button hole, but he put them with the Ost front ribbon on top, doesnt it go the other way around with the Iron Cross second class on top of the Ost front ribbon? btw i have a chest full of decorations including a wound badge infantry assault badge and Iron Cross. Since I have been reenacting ww2 since 1983 i have a few battles under my belt like close to 50 of them. 20 of which are as a German. To my way of thinking this hobby is going to grow big time.

2. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    medals

KP I'm beginning to worry about you!

3. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Why? He has a WW2-related hobby, just like pretty much everyone else here. Why should his be a reason to worry?

4. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Decorations.

Why?? Because from his (KP) own admission he is rather portly and getting on in years and I would not like him to have a heart attack through carrying excessive weight on his chest.
    Come on KP, if you've done (quote. "close to 50 battles") you must have stacks of battle pics, don't be modest, show us how you got your medals. :roll:

5. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    portly aged decrepit and milaes gloriosous

i started out as a 14 year old ROTC cadet in 1954, yes 62 years ago, I was a member of the ultra right paramilitary militia durring my college and grad school years. i put in 20 years in the Army and Army national guard, then23 years as a ww2 reenactor military vehicle preservationist and sea cadet officer. during that time I took lots of pictures. most of which are in a storage building nemo north east Missouri. I had some really nice battle pix in my computer until it recently crashed. now im trying to re assemble the photos from friends who had the foresight to save them to disk. as for being old a 10 year stint as a bicycle racer kept me trim and fit. so im not all that portly or decrepit. I kind of hang back at battles and sally forth very rarely and upon those occaisions i had the luck to be noticed, so i got medals. a milaes gloriosous is a bragging soldier and i will plead guilty.

6. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    decorations

I do apolagise, I did not realise that you were awarded medals for re-enactment engagements, you certainly deserve an award for your use of the English language; your teaching experience and maturity shows through.

7. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    What the heck is a "milaes gloriosous"?

8. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    medals

i did translate the Milaes gloriousos is a bragging soldier. but the medals Ii got were as follows, wound badge, there are three levels, i was wounded in the knee at JB 2001,when I took a flop and snagged my knee on something sharp enough to rip the skin open requiring bandages and antibiotics from a real medical person, an RN named Brandy I think, then in 2006 i wrenched my back pulling a muscle in my back and went for an MRI silver level btw this was in the woods at Curtiss or the link up battle. the gold level badge i recieived because I was in a near death experience having been hit by a truck on my bike requiring resuscitation and time in the ICU. Infantry assault for charging a Stuart tank at JB with 5 21st inf div members the EK or iron cross is for 15 battles as a German soldier, I actually have 20. the Ost front medal is for being in an ost front unit and fighting in an Ost front battle (Sheridan 2005,) all of this sounds a bit silly when u consider how the real awards get awarded to real soldiers, but I have some of those too, in fact in 20 years with the real army, I garnered three rows of three ribbons each and hash marks up my left sleeve from my wrist to my elbow- each hash mark is 3 years of service, six hash marks.

9. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Ah, Miles Gloriosus, fom the play by Plautus.

10. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    latin

Is it not 'Milos'?, I love the way this thread is becoming more 'up-market' and culture concious, does anyone do re-enactment with Greeks or Romans?
    Was not Plautus a Roman?

11. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well I googled milaes gloriousos and milaes gloriosous (not having done Latin I didn't know which was the correct spelling - neither of them were (pedantry is a wonderful thing :D )) and got Miles. But it will also come up with Milus as an acceptable alternative...
    Plautus was Roman, but apparently his plays were based on Greek originals and adapted for Roman audiences. Just file off the serial numbers...
    AFAIK there's a bunch of guys based around Lincoln that do Roman re-enactment.

12. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Miles singular, Milites plural.

I don't do reenactment of this sort but I do have one particularly beautiful weapon of the era...

[​IMG]

Falcata, design Egyptian in origin, 9th century BC. Spread throughout the Hellenistic world in the hands of all Greek cavalry and Thracian mercenaries. This particular model was made after a Spanish example of the 3rd century BC.

13. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    weapon

Awsome, beautifull thanx

14. Man

Man New Member

via TanksinWW2
    LOL, I knew you were waiting for an oppurtunity to post that. :D

15. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    You got me :D

You guys in the US must be able to get this thing much cheaper than me, since I had to have it brought over from there.

16. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Ermine way

Oli, are not the Lincoln lads something to do with the'Ermin Way' or is it 'Ermine Way'?

17. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yeah Ermine. I've seen them a couple of times when I've been out for the day, but only two or three of them at a time rather than the full unit.
    Just remembered - there's some in York, and they have an "unofficial member" - the ghost Roman soldier that supposedly walks part of the walls in the Museum grounds. :D (But I've never seen him and the squirrels don't seem too bothered).

18. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Iron Cross 2nd class ribbon

just in case you were in a state of apprehension over my ribbons my wife rearranged them the way that they should go

19. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    ribbons

Errrrrr! what ribbons???After twenty years of active service you must have a photo? Every one has one, I'd love to see it and as I don't know American awards apart from the 'Blue citation' (we have one in the family)would you name each one and what they were awarded for please.
    ROEL. Good looking blade, what is actual size? By the size of hilt I'd guess one half?

20. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Ribbons

this is a little embarassing as none of my ribbons are for valor, just for this and that. Good Conduct, originally was awarded for 3 years of undetected crimes(joking) had 2 additional awards signified by a 2 on the ribbon, if you get an article 15, you dont get this red and white gum wrapper ribbon, it also comes with a medal. National Defense ribbon because I was in the Army durring the Tonkin Gulf incident. 1964 i think, Humanitarian service medal both of these come with a medal, i got this one for being the NCOIC of Snow command in downtown Chicago in the Blizzard of 79.Long and honorable service for 10 years service in the NG, NCO Academy ribbon for sucessfull completion of BNOC, Overseas ribbon for 3 years in Germany, Army service ribbon, for participation in a road building mission in Honduras in 1985, perfect attendance ribbon,ARCOM Army commendation medal and Ribbon the state active duty ribbon for 2 floods and a blizzard. I am entitled to but never recieved two ribbons for army commeration one for anyone who served from 1776 to the present , sometimes called the armys birthday ribbon and the cold war commerative certificate there was something about awarding a ribbon for this but the legislature voted it down. I have no picture available just now its in storage and the ribbons themselve were in my 1981 CJ 7 when it was stolen. oh, I also wore a presidential unit citation and a phillipine campaign ribbon that were awarded to the 33rd bde during ww2 (33rd Division then) and authorized for wear by all members of the 33rd Bde ILARNG. and an experts badge for the M16 Rifle marksmanship. that was a cross in a wreath with a bar that says rifle. is that any help?