Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Is that tank round still dangerous ?

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Adma, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Adma

Adma New Member

Hello ,
    as i'm beginning with metal detecting , we found some shells and bombs , but one in particular seemed to be " exploded "
    but i'm not sure if this one is safe to bring home , it appears to be a 75 mm .
    Here are some pictures , it seems we can see the " fuze/detonator " in the bottow of the hole but i'm not sure .
    Oh and the hole is going as far as my thumb in the last picture with the yellow glove , is there anything left in the top of the shell and is it dangerous ?

Visionneuse images - Noelshack - https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/34/3/1534957253-img-5431.jpg
    Visionneuse images - Noelshack - https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/34/3/1534957255-img-5432.jpg
    Visionneuse images - Noelshack - https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/34/3/1534957259-img-5433.jpg
    Visionneuse images - Noelshack - https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/34/3/1534957262-img-5434.jpg

2. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

If you're not sure of anything, leave it alone & inform the authorities.

Seriously, people still die from this stuff.
    An internet forum can't tell you with the required certainty what's what from a few pictures.
    Call it in &/or leave it alone.

WWII Ordnance Still Haunts Europe and the Asia-Pacific Rim

3. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

Just cut it up with a blowtorch. That should answer your question. :rolleyes:

von Poop and gtblackwell like this.
  4. Adma

Adma New Member

The thing is that it's thick metal and it's broken in half , to break that thing like that i think it can only have exploded , but yeah i'm not sure .
    I'll stay away from it for now

5. Adma

Adma New Member

Also is it the fuze that you can see on the photos in the bottom of the hole ? i'm not sure anymore all photos of shells seems to have the fuze at another place

6. Terry D

Terry D Well-Known Member

Just as you should treat all guns as loaded until you can confirm that they aren't, treat all found ordnance as live until you--or better yet the authorities--know positively that it is not.

Otto and von Poop like this.
  7. Adma

Adma New Member

The think is that in the county that i live , it's almost like if having a toothpick was considered " dangerous " and illegal . Even tho our forests are full of live bombs and war stuff and that we grew up with tanks at each corner of the town ; i don't want the government to come and take away my finds for them " just in case " .
    So i'm just hoping someone could assure me that it is ( like i think ) tottally inert .. but who knows !

8. Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein WWII Veteran

Many moons ago I reminded myself about the perils of un-exploded rounds on a Sherman tank:

Misfires on the Sherman Mark IV 75mm
    Gents

I initially posted this on another site and then thought it might cause some interest here.

I am reminded of the only experience I ever had with a misfire.

It was in Jan 1945 and I was being re-trained as tank-crew at Rieti in the centre of Italy.

We were firing 75 mm rounds from a Sherman Mark IV and had just loaded HE in the normal manner, that is, I, as loader, had just punched the shell into the breech and swung away to my left to avoid the recoil from hitting me in the shoulder.
    The gunner kicked the pressel switch, I did my "swinging" action but NOTHING happened.
    Panic all round and then the three of us shot out of the turret hatch and madly scrambled away from the tank.
    "Where do you think you're going ?" bellowed the instructor and with much embarrassment (and not a little fear) we had to retread our steps, get back in the turret and go through the procedure of getting rid of a dud round.
    I still go cold at the memory and offer up a belated hymn of praise to all the instructors who faced death daily because of their students stupidity.
    posted by Ron Goldstein at 1:48 pm [​IMG]

lwd and von Poop like this.