Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Is the bugle the hardest brass instrument to play?

Discussion in 'The Members Lounge' started by the_diego, Dec 12, 2021.

1. the_diego

the_diego Active Member

I'm not a musician, but I can see that the bugle is the most rudimentary of all brass wind instruments; without any valve regulator or any device to alter pitch. It's all down to the player's embrouchure. I tinkered with one as a kid and wasn't even able to deliver a note. Although my elder brother, being stronger built, managed "Taps" to the delight of our father.

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I don't know how hard it is to play, but I have read that it had a rather small range of notes. Maybe not even a full octave.

3. harolds

harolds Member

The bugle is fairly easy to play. It has no keys or slides. That means it only has a certain range of notes, these are determined by your lip armature. (I played trumpets and baritone in H.S. and was in my university ROTC drum and bugle corps-or "dumb and bungle corps, as we used to call it.) ;)

Slipdigit likes this.
  4. the_diego

the_diego Active Member

Aha! A bugler! Thanks for the reply.

5. R Leonard

R Leonard Member

I've an old cavalry bugle, without taking it down from its shelf upstairs, "Chicago Depot 1918" stamped on it. My father acquired it somewhere along the line, he could sound the Army calls of his youth (he grew up in the Army, born in Douglas AZ while his father was off chasing Pancho Villa and his father retired a Colonel in 1934 - not bad for a guy who retired a Rear Admiral). I was never much good at it, but, oh, say, 25 years ago or so, when it was time for the children to start for home from their neighborhood adventures in the late summer afternoons, I would step outside and sound the only call I could make with any real success, appropriately, "recall", twice as it should be done.

My old neighbor across the street, a retired Marine, loved it. He'd come out and sit on his porch to await recall.

http://www.riciok.com/Sounds/Recall.mp3

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    Kai-Petri, CAC and Slipdigit like this.
  6. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Plenty of Buglers in Australia...I thought i'd post a bugle sounding at the AFL...We have an ANZAC round, and an official ANZAC game always between Essendon Bombers and (my team) Collingwood Magpies. So many ANZACs played Aussie Rules (even whilst posted), so this is a fitting way to remember them...

This year 2018, the bugler came from the Navy.

You can see the big "A" on the Collingwood jumper.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  7. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I know about the Essendon Bombers. I used to watch Australian Rules Football when ESPN would stoop to show games
    The game was an organized fight, but fun to watch. About the time I learned the game, it quit being broadcast here.

There are a good many footballers in the States now playing American football, mostly as punters.

CAC likes this.
  8. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Here is a five minute overview of the game from the AFL

The game has changed over the years…less fights, but the young blokes now make it super quick…the average player runs about 14km a game…that’s a mini marathon, except marathon runners don’t sprint, hit people or get hit…they don’t have to kick goals. The reason there are four posts is to encourage the kicker to go for goal far out, the thinking being that even if you miss you get a point. This psychological test proved correct from the first game it was instituted. And the bouncing of the ball every 16 yards is for the same reason basketball players have to dribble…if they didn’t have to, they’d just sprint up the other end and throw…pretty boring. AFL doesn’t want people tucking the ball under an arm and running up the other end of the field, that’s a different game. We want something to slow the ball carrier so the opposition can catch them…so the ball carrier has to either hand ball it, or kick it…The idea works just as well for AFL as it does for basketball.

There are a truck load of Americans playing AFL in the States…The rules are that at least 50% of the players in each team have to be American. There is one team I believe that is purely American. My American team is the New York Magpies!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  9. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

New York Magpies

upload_2021-12-16_0-53-53.jpeg

10. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Some American USAFL teams…

upload_2021-12-16_0-56-52.png

11. harolds

harolds Member

I just LOVE how everyone stays on topic in this forum! :p

Biak likes this.
  12. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

OK back on track...ANZAC day has been remembered differently the last couple of years due to Covid and the old people involved...Australians have been encouraged to have a dawn service in their street...This includes civilians playing the last post on the bugle (and trumpet)

[​IMG]

13. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I played the clarinet in grade school. Didn't want to, really really wanted to play drums, but I was out voted. I was 11.
    So the next year switched to Trumpet ! Lot's louder. That'll teach em. Made it to the point of playing Taps and a few other simple riffs without the little button things. I'd diligently practice in my room - mostly Blues (of my own composition).