Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Is this aoriginal U-Boat item

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by Gebirgsjaeger, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

It looks like a food transport box for canteens. Obviously food was cooked in it. There is no evidence it's U-Boot, so it could be anything. I wouldn't bet on it, especially as the markings are manual and not natural for an item that is supposed to go on a stove. Besides why wouldn't there be an engraving with maker details on it?

Gebirgsjaeger likes this.
  3. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

I certainly wouldn't trust it being from a U-boat unless you can confirm that other U-boats had similar equipment with similar markings.

4. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Thanks for your opinions i stay away from it.

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Ulrich there should be impressed and Eagle/Swastika Kombination plus the "M" marking on the bottom, that would be a first and almost always sure clue, though this is suppose to be from a late war boot it could be understood why there wasn't but having just a simplified written marking of course does not mean it is original at all

Gebirgsjaeger likes this.
  6. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Thanks Erich, i know the seller and i´m sure that he won´t know about the facts. If so he wouldn´t offer it that way! I believe that he bought it and didn´t know what it is.

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

What bothers me most is why a food container that is supposed to stand heat and water has just some sort of hand painting as an identification. I have a U Boot box from the Lorient base (for spares) , it has some rivetted labels and stencilled German writings. It has no swastika or date, but it's just a spare box and the fact that I got it from a friend who bought it in Lorient, puts my mind to peace way more than if Ihad gotten it on Ebay.

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

fact remains is know your items. in this case we don't have enough information as to the real whereabouts or exactly what the item was used for, the seller says one thing and in reality it could of been used to store Kleenex tissues. do not despair. one thing about Km storage units of all sizes they were in normal tin/metal boxwares not the more common wooden types found win the other branches of service.

Skip you're indicator of the item would mean post 1943 as the M was always carried early war. case in point is Binoculars surface, ship, Artilliere or U-Boot for one

9. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Thought I'd wait until Erich had answered before throwing in my two penn'orth....:)

It certainly does look like a container of the period ; but there should be some trace somewhere of a Waffenamt or manufacturer's stamp. However, such well-used aluminium items ( such as the German soldiers Kochgeschirr ) can lose their markings due to wear-and-tear. Individually-scribed markings may be genuine, or they may not. There is simply no way of being sure.

I'd file under 'interesting' rather than 'investment'........

Gebirgsjaeger and formerjughead like this.
  10. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

will agree with Martin as per late war, markings became superfluous, smeared or just plain worn off. Everything even KM was borrowed in 45; the zinc or aluminum/Tin idea though was predominately for KM and weather God awful conditions to be kept out.

Ulrich and all, please check this link and Max's wonderful collection for closer details of some fantastic U-Boot items/general KM

http://www.atlantik-pirat.com/Der Atlantik-Pirat.htm

11. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

Yep.