Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Is this appropriate?

Discussion in 'Living History' started by Keystone Two-Eight, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Keystone Two-Eight

Keystone Two-Eight Member

OK, since I trust you guys and all, I've decided to ask you this question;

I have, in the past year, became friends with a WWII veteran. To be precise, an 82nd Airborne vet. He is very open about what he saw during the war, and in fact does lectures on the evils of the Nazi regime and the Holocaust (he was at the liberation of Wobbelin labor camp).

Anyway, he has presented me with a very unique opportunity. He has invited me to attend what very well may be the last reunion of the 325th Glider Infantry. Most of the Normandy guys have gone on to their final reward, but a handful of the guys from Bocage country on thru are still kicking, and he wants me to meet his buddies......WOW, huh? Of course I'm going to go (I also offered to help him put it all together, as his wife isnt doing so well, so he's kind of limited on time), but here is my question:

I have a book, " The All Americans in World War II: A Photographic History of the 82nd Airborne Division at War by Phil Nordyke ", it's a really nice hardback book, and I was wondering, Would it be appropriate for me to ask some of these gentlemen to sign it? See, I plan on passing all these books over to my kids one day. They are way to young to understand who these sweet old guys are, or what sacrifices they made for my boys to have the lives they do, but I want them to one day be able to say their names, have them recorded somewhere just for the sake of being able to say them. You know what I mean? I dont want them to think I idolize them, I just want to honor them is all.

So do you think I ought to take the book with me? Or should I leave it at home?

2. TA152

TA152 Ace

I think they would be thrilled to sign your book ! You explain it to them like you did in your post and you will have a really neat heirloom.

3. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

First off, let me say you lucky so and so! What a fantastic opportunity, I am truly envious!

Secondly, I agree with TA, I think these chaps would probably be thrilled to sign your book, particularly if you explain why you would like them to do it. Good luck and enjoy the event, talk about a once in a life time opportunity!

4. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

Your intentions are good and reunions are a time to remember and reconnect. If this is their final reunion, having them sign the book will ensure in a small way that their final reunion is remembered long after they all go to their final reward.

Let me know if you need an extra waiter . . . Maybe my wife will let me come up to NC!

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

By all means, let them sign it. In a few years it would be too late and you"ll be sorry you haven't used the opportunity for the rest of your life.

6. Mortman2004

Mortman2004 Dishonorably Discharged

I was In the The 325.... Man im so envious of you....Can i go with tooo PLEASE lol... I have a feeling yheyd be honored to sign... When i graduatated From the US ARMY airborne school the coolest part of Earnming our wings was having the WW2 paratroopers tell us theyre tales and then pin our wings on us... next to the birth of my son and earning my ranger tab it was my proudest moment...

7. Mortman2004

Paratroopers of the 325th Airborne infantry regiment (THE FALCONS) passing in review on return from OIF4 in Iraq... and the 325 Coat of arms and distinctive unit crest

Attached Files:

8. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I guess you have your answer, Keystone.

Take good notes afterward, get as many pictures as you can and situations allow and come back and tell us all about it.

Finally, please thank them on our behalf.

Oh yeah, and I'm not too far from NC either. I can make it in a day.

9. Keystone Two-Eight

Keystone Two-Eight Member

I've actually got a digital recorder from a guy at work, so I can tape the conversation, and I'm going to take my camera with me as well. I will thank all of them for the whole forum!

LOL, where in Bama are you anyway? He said I could bring a friend....

10. Mortman2004

The kind of men you will meet :)

Attached Files:

• 82A.jpg
      82A.jpg
      File size:
      68.8 KB
      Views:
  11. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'm near Montgomery. When is it?

12. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I'm sure you'll have no problem at all, K-2-8, and I'm also certain that the veterans will be delighted to sign your book. I know you'll be respectful and courteous ( sadly, some 'autograph hunters' can be very rude, shoving books under the noses of people who are engaged in conversation, etc ).

In my experience, US veterans are often much easier to approach than, say, British or German who tend to be more 'reserved' by nature. For instance, when I attended the 100th Bomb Group reunion several years ago, I was overwhelmed by the response when I asked, and I still treasure the book I had signed that day....

Have a great time !:)

13. Aru-Ed

Aru-Ed Member

Keystone, this is a once in a lifetime oppertunity, and you should take it!
    You have the best intention you can imagine.
    Keep it dry that day, if you know what i mean!

14. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

Keystone it sounds like a great idea and as the other guys have said if you explain your intentions im sure it wiil be fine that will be some heirloom for your kids and a piece of history to boot.

15. von Rundstedt

von Rundstedt Dishonorably Discharged

I'd say go for it, ask them, it will be up to each individual whether they'll sign it or not.

Kudos to you mate.

16. WotNoChad?

WotNoChad? Member

It's an honourable endeavour so I believe they're recognise that and would be delighted to sign your book. Lucky man indeed.