Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Is this computer able to support War In The Pacific: Admirals Edition?

Discussion in 'PC and Console Simulations' started by USS Washington, Aug 5, 2014.

1. USS Washington

USS Washington Active Member

Here are the system requirements for War in The Pacific:

Product Requirements :
    • Windows 98SE / 2000 / XP / Vista / 7
      CPU: 1.0 Ghz minimum, 2.0 Ghz recommended
      Video/Graphics: 128M minimum, 256M recommended
      RAM: 512MB minimum, 1GB recommended
      1 GB free Hard Disc space
      DirectX version: 9.0 or later
      Direct X compatible Soundcard
      8x CD-ROM

My laptop is a Toshiba L875D:

AMD A6-4400M APU with Radeon(tm) HD graphics 2.70 GHz Processor
    6.00 GB(5.45 GB usable) RAM
    Windows Edition: 8.1
    64-bit operating system, x64-based Processor

Is my laptop able to support this game?

2. Takao

Takao Ace

I'd certainly hope so.

It used to be that the 64-bit OSs would sometimes have problems with games, but that is in the past.

USS Washington likes this.
  3. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large Patron  

I also believe so. To remove all doubt go to this site: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/
    Register, it's free. Log in and go to the War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition sub-forum and ask. Several of the game programmers and designers are on there regularly, plus many friendly users, someone will answer your question quickly.

4. Bundesluftwaffe

Bundesluftwaffe New Member

I ran WITPAE on P4 2.66 / 1GB Ram... with Win Xp. This was 2 yrs ago or so. I haven´t played since then, but I guess also the newest version should run.

I had some trouble running TOAW3 on Win7 64bit, but the XP mod solved that. Also run as admin...

But better use XP or WIn7 for older games. Win8 isnt very good for that.

5. USS Washington

I did register sometime after to replying to your thread about the game, and I went to their help desk, but thank you for the suggestion and link, sir, much appreciated. :)

6. USS Washington

Is it possible to switch to Windows 7 on your current computer instead of getting a new one?

7. USS Washington

Well, then maybe I shouldn't have a problem then, it's a fairly new laptop(maybe a little over a year old).

8. USS Washington

I went to Matrixs help desk, and there reply was this:

Hello Strike Eagle,
    Although not officially tested on Windows 8, the latest beta patch, available on the forum, does allow the game to work on Windows 8.1. However please note that there is no such patch for the WitP base version, so you do need the Admiral's Edition. We hope to begin the testing of the older games of the catalogue shortly, so hopefully in the near future all webpages will be updated to show if they are compatible with Windows 8.
    Kind Regards,

Joe Miller
    The Slitherine Group

So with this, I'm glad to know that I will, with the beta patch, be able to play this game while using Windows 8 :dance4:. Anyways, thank you all for the responses/suggestions.

9. Bundesluftwaffe

Bundesluftwaffe New Member

Sure you can install severall OS on the same computer. Eg. I have WinXP & Win7.

If you have trouble with Win8 just buy a cheap other Win and install it as 2nd OS.

Be advised that WITPAE is a monster game, play only if you have no life :)

10. USMCPrice

Hey, wait a minute! I play the game and have a life! In fact I'm just finishing up a moster mod to go with the "Is anyone interested in intellectual exercise" thread on this forum. I've been play testing it for several months and think I have most of the bugs worked out now. A few more tweaks and it'll be ready. :dance4:

11. USS Washington

Awesome, that's great to know! :dance4:

No problem, I work in my dads roofing company, so I get laid off during the winter, a perfect time to play the hell out of this game. ;)

12. von_noobie

von_noobie Member

Yeah easy to install Win7 on it and your PC more then adequate for the game.

If you lacking a copy of Win7 I can speak to my brother and try and get you a key for it, You just have to organize the instal disc (He has about 30 original legit keys)

13. USS Washington

Sorry I'm late in replying, I got the game over a week ago, and it's running just fine on Windows 8.1, so no need to switch to a different version, but I appreciate your offer nonetheless, Von_Noobie. :cheers:

14. O.M.A.

O.M.A. Active Member

Glad to hear the game is working for you. The only problem I would have though might have been backward compatibility, some of those older games don't always work with the newer operating systems very well. In Win8, you can run games in "Conpatability Mode" (right click the icon for this menu), and that helps with older games. I occasionally play Talonsoft's very underrated East Front II series under that configuration.

15. USMCPrice

The reason is that a number of members of the development team continue to update the game (on their own) and their Beta versions are regularly integrated into official patches. There is also a large modding community that continues to tweak the game with a good deal of help from the original developers and these tweaks also make their way into the official upgrades.

16. O.M.A.

O.M.A. Active Member

The Matrix Games version then?

Never really got into PTO strategic games but willing to try. Here is my only question that matters to me: How is the multi-player feature? I like all wargames, but love playing them against human opponents.

17. USMCPrice

The PBEM system works well and I have never had a problem finding willing opponents. I would suggest that if you get the game, to play several times against the AI, because there are levels upon levels of features and capabilities that need to be learned. On their forums I have frequently seen people that have played the game for years suddenly realize that there were additional controls and functions that they hadn't even known existed.

Here's the link to the games forum, read through some of it and see what you think. It's a fairly pricey game, but IMO it's worth every penny plus some.

I do like that Matrix reissued the TalonSoft series of games, I have the Campaign Series, (West Front, East Front, Rising Sun plus all Add-ons and epansion packs) and the John Tiller's Battleground Civil War set which contains all the old Talonsoft Battleground civil war games. Trust me War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition is a whole nother world in terms of reality and complexity. If you're one where the latest video game graphics are important to you, like you get with first person shooters on X-Box, it probaly is not the game for you. If you're into strategy, tactics and an accurate historical simulation, it is right down your alley.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=528

18. Takao

Takao Ace

IIRC, all of the new flavors of Windows(XP or greater) had the "compatability mode." It helped in most cases, but not all cases. Other older games had problems with the multiple processor cores found on many current CPUs, that was an easy fix, by going into Task Manager - "details" tab - and setting the processor affinity to only one processor. For all the older DOS games, there is DOSBox - http://www.dosbox.com/

19. lwd

lwd Ace

Some of the oldest games relied on the CPU being a certain speed for timing issues. Once you started getting third party PC's with faster CPU's they rapidly became unplayable. Of course most of those games would be considered very primitive by todays standards.

20. USS Washington

Initially I had some issues with lag that slowed the game down to the point where it was actually killing the fun for me, but after downloading beta patch 7 from Matrixs forums, the game now runs smoothly, and I'm now currently leading the Allied offensive at Guadalcanal, hoping to deliver a defeat Japan will never recover from.

Here's the link to the Patch:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3185062