Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Is this lighter army issue?

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Philip ABRG, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Philip ABRG

Philip ABRG Member

I found this near Arnhem,on a former Canadian camp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ancient Fire Resurgent

Ancient Fire Resurgent Member

i can't open up the images any farther, but from here it looks like it could be an example of trench art. I know lighters, knives and cigarette trays were all common items made from shell casings, flak, etc. If it is, that's a real find! Anyone else?

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I love things like this, but shall tread very carefully as I'm not an expert.

It is most definitely a 'trench lighter'. Genuine ones were of course made in WW1 ( matches were virtually useless in the wet conditions of the Western Front ).

But the fashion continued in WW2 ( everyone smoked cigarettes then ). They were fashioned from anything suitable to hand ( frequently 20mm shells, .50 cases, etc etc ) and quite often were made illicitly in 'back area' workshops, on ships, airfields, etc and were sold among troops or aircrew. AFAIK, they were never officially issued. However, some enterprising lighter manufacturers did make manufacture their own 'trench lighters'. WW2 trench lighters can still be bought quite cheaply and are an unresearched area of militaria collecting. They seem to have been more popular among Allied forces than Axis.

This one is an interesting find...I'm guessing here, but it looks as though it may have been fashioned from a pocket torch or similar.