Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Is this real?

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by ManUtd, Nov 22, 2010.

1. ManUtd

ManUtd Member

Hi

I planning to buy my first iron cross and what to know if it is real or fake. I am a real history buff and I want to start collecting. I think I am getting a good deal for it. Is $60 too much for it?

New Image2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

While some on this site may try to answer, please understand that we are not a valuation service. It is difficult to give value when only looking at a picture. You should do some research with reputable dealers before you make any commitments.

formerjughead likes this.
  3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Not to circumvent anything Lou said (& I agree with) but-the price is acceptable if its also got an original ribbon?

4. ManUtd

ManUtd Member

It doesn't come with a ribbon. I understand what Lou said and I've looked around. I saw it for $60 without a ribbon. But I guess I'll try and talk the guy down.

Thanks for the help.

5. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

hello ManUtd and welcome to the forum (im guessing you support the correct football team also ;))

the cross looks good to me, can you see any maker's mark on the suspension ring?

as other's have said, do make sure you know what you are buying before you buy - good luck

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

If really interested? I can steer you to dealers who sell the WWII EKIIS w/ ribbon-for about $65 bucks. I know of one who last year, bought over 130 of them from the Son of a Vet who got all of his during his service overseas. From the sounds of it, he might have been either a Medic-or in Graves Registration.

7. ManUtd

ManUtd Member

I'm interested in the EKIIS. If you could send me the dealer please. I talked the guy down to $30 so is that a good deal without a ribbon? I searched some places but can't find a price without a ribbon. As for the makers mark I will need a better picture I can see a S sort of but will need a better look.

8. colletorww2

colletorww2 Ace

I don't think This EKII is good, the frame and everything is good, but the detail is a bit soft for that good condition, i am very good at identifying fake WWII EKIIs, but i haven't had much experience with WWI EKIIs.

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Send me an email and ill give you this dealers site info.

Take care-_C. Also if your getting that cross (sight unseen by me here) for $30-great deal and id go for it.

10. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Such a low price should get you very suspicous.

11. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

Tell you what Mantd: I have a genuine one I'll sell you for $40 (without ribbon) I have. I know it was originally picked up in Germany by a WW II vet who I've known for decades so I have no doubt as to its authenticity. If that is fair PM me. I'm willing to sell it simply because I don't generally collect memorbillia and just have some odd pieces.

12. ManUtd

ManUtd Member

Thanks everyone for the help. I think I will get it but now I'm having doubts but I'll have to compare it more to other crosses and have to check the makers mark.

Regards,

Rishawn

13. ManUtd

ManUtd Member

That is true but before he had it priced at $100 than I asked him for $60 and now $30. I don't think he knows very much about medals but maybe he is trying to deceive me.

T.A. Gardener sounds pretty good but for some reason I cant pm anyone. Does anyone know why that is?

14. Artem

Artem Member

Iron crosses from that era cost a lot more. Unless the seller is very stupid, it's a fake.

15. T. A. Gardner

You don't have enought posts yet to get the pm privilage. Off hand I'm not sure what the post count is for it to be turned on.

Attached Files:

16. RRCOLLECTOR

RRCOLLECTOR Member

I can not see any issues with it personally...unless the cross is cast...can not tell that from the provided pictures though. The red rust does raise some flags...but it doesn't look like the same faked red rust that you see on Floch's pieces.....

Pics of the frame would help...non blurry ones if you could....

17. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

You could try the magnet trick, but this of course means you need to order it first. Real crosses should not be magnetic. It doesn't mean your cross is real , it will tell you it's fake if it's magnetic.

18. RRCOLLECTOR

RRCOLLECTOR Member

What?! Are you serious? The core should almost ALWAYS be magnetic....it is Iron after all....

19. T. A. Gardner

The two pictures I put up are of a genuine WW 2 one. There are some small spots of browning on it here and there but I suspect that is due to whatever process was used to blacken the metal originally.

20. RRCOLLECTOR

RRCOLLECTOR Member

Yeah...I had mistaken your scans for the cross the OP was talking about...nothing wrong with yours (WKI EKII...not WK2)...a bit of red rust but that happens. Floch has been using his own 'special' ingredients to try and simulate this red rust but it is pretty obvious when you see it.

I am speaking about the statement that was made concerning EK's not being magnetic...the only time an EK core should not be magnetic is when it is made of brass...and this practice was used very seldom.