Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Isle of Man and Tiger tank

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Kai-Petri, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

[​IMG]

Can anyone tell more of the backgorund to this postcard? Why the Tiger´s so huge? Thanx!

2. Fortune

Fortune Member

interesting, i would say the tiger was made a little large to make it have a huge menacing appearance, but it could be to scale....large tank...

3. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

In what way huge Kai-Petri? I can't see anything to give me a scale.
    Looks like it's Tiger 131 captured in Tunisia by 48th RTR & still bearing the British 1st Army marking on the front that, I believe, was painted on for a visit by the king.
    Full story on 131 here .
    And Journal of her restoration to full running order here .
    Saw her Running about in the rain in June.. Shocking.

Is it possible that an IOM resident was involved in her capture? or that she stopped there for some reason on her way to Bovington? The former seems more likely as apparently she was shipped straight to Glasgow.

Cheers,
    Adam

4. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Just noticed the Stamp, Cain was an IOM resident, hated tanks, fired PIATs from the hip in related actions against several tanks, his citation for the VC reads like a 'boys own adventure' yarn. There was an excellent little program about him on television here last year (he was Jeremy Clarkson's father-in-law).
    Therefore I assume Tiger 131 was just chosen as a good illustration of one of the types he knocked out.
    Cain VC Citation on this page .

5. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Thanx guys for the help!

With the Tiger so big I meant why a small stamp and a big Tiger tank on the cover. I guess that one being captured is the reason.

I just felt it a bit weird like a stamp of Rudel with a huge T-34 on the cover in the Reich era.