Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Italian POW info

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by danielelanza, Jan 23, 2009.

Tags:
  1. danielelanza

danielelanza recruit

Hello Everyone, I have been trying to do some research on my grandfather's service during WWII.

Here is what i know:
    - He was in an Italian special operation paratrooper battalion called ADRA (Arditi Distruttori Regia Aereonautica)
    - He was captured in Tunisia (by either British or American forces) in May or June 1943
    - He was at some point moved to a prison camp in the USA.

Here is what i would like to know:
    - Is there a way to access details on POW detained in the USA during WWII? A list of names perhaps?
    - I would also like to learn more on which camp he was assigned to (i think it was in the south)
    - I would like to know about other POW still alive that may have been either in the battalion or in camp. Or possibly US servicemen involved with either the capture in Tunisia or with the prison camp.
    - He spent quite a bit of time in the US, he even escaped the camp and found some sort of girlfriend at a certain point. He was always talking about how thankful he was that the Americans gave him NEW teeth...funny.

Thank you everyone for your help.
    Daniel