Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Iwo Jima

Discussion in 'Land Warfare in the Pacific' started by ww2dude, Feb 19, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff Semi-Frightening Mountain Goat

I have to ask the same; not to damage your integrity, but you seem to have a vast amount of knowledge :)

2. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Simple. LOL. 38 years of reading and studying. Over 4 years of being on discussion groups and forums. And Google Search can be your friend ;) :D.

3. Shockwavesoldier

Shockwavesoldier Member

ok, just wondering what vast pool of knowledge you were taping into. I see that vast pool is your brain.

4. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Well at this age some of my brain cells seem to be getting faultly ;). But I try to keep up with the amount of info out there.:)

5. Hufflepuff

lol thanks JC :)

6. Hufflepuff

Is the last survivor of the flag raisings (Lindberg) still alive?

I know that Joe Rosenthal died a year or two ago (may his soul rest in peace).

7. ww2dude

ww2dude Member

This mindset I have is based on what I read and observe. Guarentee, they were some Japanese that didn't believe that, but you will admit the Japanese taught those ideas. In all honesty I try to see the Japanese and the Germans as just like us (as in Americans) just with different beliefs and ideas. Clint Eastwood did a good job there in Letters From Iwo Jima showing they were humans (and not as completely evil creatures as other movies portray them as). What this all boils down to is no matter what side you were on or what you believed in the end you were human and therefore share the will to live.

8. ww2dude

ww2dude Member

Lindberg is dead (RIP):mourn: In addition a man who claimed to have raised the first flag died this year.

9. Hufflepuff

:mourn::flag_USAwave:

10. ww2dude

ww2dude Member

If I'm not mistaken the guy's name was Raymond Jacobs. Even if he didn't raise the first flag he still fought honorably:mourn:

11. Cpl. Wheeler

Cpl. Wheeler WWII Veteran

I just joined the forum and found this thread, reading with interest some of the posters' comments about alleged fakery involved in the second flag-raising on Mount Suribachi. As I served as a rifleman in Iwo Jima's flag-raising company, E-2-28 Fifth Marine Divsion, I am able to state quite conclusively that there was nothing phoney about the famous photo. Nothing! Moreover, both first and second flags were raised under combat conditions.
    Associated Press photographer Joe Rosenthal was not on the volcano when the first flag went up, but he made the climb in time to cover the second raising. He had nothing to do with the act itself. He just happened to be lucky enough to snap a picture of it at exactly the right moment. The main battle for Iwo Jima was only beginning, and while the second big flag flew over Suribachi it served as inspiration to the American forces determined to take the island, at whatever the cost.
    After recovering from wounds suffered in the battle at the base of Mount Suribachi, I became an author, writing many books about war, including the American Revolution and Civil War. However, most important to me are those encompassing battles in the Pacific in World War II, including The Bloody Battle For Suribachi wherein the story of my company and platoon-mates in the fight leading up to and capture of Mount Suribachi, together with the triumphant flag-raisings, is told.

krieg and Slipdigit like this.
  12. krieg

krieg Ace

thankyou for the great true life story there will be some people here that you willget on with greatly
    i salute you mate
    best krieg

13. ww2dude

ww2dude Member

Cpl. Wheeler, I just want to say how honored I am that you joined us. I also want to thank you for protecting our freedom. I personally own and have read Iwo but unfortunately haven't come across The Bloody Battle of Suribachi, yet. I also want to welcome you to the forum. Just a personal question for you. Do you agree with John Bradley in that the real heroes are dead on that island? For me, my definition of a hero is anyone who serves with honor. To me you and your fellow soldiers both living and dead are heroes.

14. Cpl. Wheeler

Cpl. Wheeler WWII Veteran

You asked about the statement attributed to John Bradley and I will respond. That statement is a long-time cliche' often said after various combat situations and presumably also said by John Bradley.
    As for my take on the matter, any man who served dutifully in combat and died deserves to be sincerely honored but he is not necessarily a hero. To simply die in combat, in my opinion, does not equate with heroism. Similarly, in my opinion, one need not die to be heroic.
    I hope you have the opportunity to read my book about my platoon as one real hero who made it off the island was my platoon leader, John Keith Wells. He was an authentic hero who survived.
    Dick