Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Jack L (Lee) Burley 33 133 438

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by KMZgirl, Jun 16, 2018.

1. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

PFC Jack L Burley: DOB 16 Feb 1920 & died 20 Sept 1983, enlisted CP Lee Virginia. Buried Amherst, Virginia. Looking for any unit information to narrow down his whereabouts in June/July 1944. The lady doesn't have separation papers. She is trying to help a gentlemen figure out if this man was his father. If anyone can figure out what theater or any units he served in, she would be very appreciative. I don't have a Fold 3 account at this time. Thanks!

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

3. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

Thanks! Any and all help is appreciated. I'll pass the info along.

4. TD-Tommy776

5. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

Question: If he was present D Day (June 6, 1944), is it likely he was still in the ETO come July, or did any of the men head home afterwards? Pardon my ignorance of the ETO. I'm normally researching the CBI. Thank you so much! I think we are looking at June and July as the conception time frame. It looks likely he could be ruled out?

6. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

I've directed her to the courthouse to hopefully get a copy of the separation papers. Return date will be on there...

7. TD-Tommy776

I should have added the caveat that info from family members is not always accurate. Also, I presume the info I quoted was a summary of what they have, so it is at least 3rd hand information. Often times "landed at Omaha (or Utah) Beach" morphs into "Landed on D-Day", which is not necessarily the same thing. Many soldiers landed on Omaha Beach weeks after 6 June 1944. The date of 20 July 1944 could be the day his unit landed in France, or it may not. What it does tell us is that he was in France around June/July 1944 rather than in Italy or the Pacific. It also suggests that there may be more information at the ACM&HS.

Great idea to refer her to the county courthouse to see about getting his separation papers. If she is successful, post a copy here and we'll see what we can make of it.

8. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

Good deal! The Willie mentioned was his father.