Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

James Puckle's "Machine Gun"

Discussion in 'Military History' started by GRW, Jan 10, 2004.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Hi,
    I know James Puckle is credited with inventing this in 1714, and an original example is supposed to exist somewhere (British Museum, I think).
    Although the gun was a failure, anyone got sources for it actually being used in combat of any kind?

Regards,
    Gordon

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

This was the (in)famous gun wihich could be loaded with round or square projectiles ( allegedly for Christian or non-Christian foes respectively ).

As to actual combat use, I think Tony Williams may be the man to answer your question.....

3. GRW

Martin,
    Cheers. I seem to remember reading in an old Parnell's (?) book on machine guns that it was used in a British colonial venture somewhere. That was 30 years ago though!

Regards,
    Gordon

4. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I've browsed around the 'net a little to refresh my memory of stuff which, like you, I read years ago !

James Puckle invented his gun in London around 1718. It's described as a 1.2" calibre flintlock machine-gun. It was never accepted for official military use, but two went with the 2nd Duke of Montagu's abortive expedition to St Lucia and St Vincent in 1722. Puckle's firm went bust ; a satirist at the time wrote :

'Fear not, my friends, this terrible machine -
    They are only wounded who have Shares therein !'

Four survive, one at Buckler's Hard, one in the Pattern Room, one at Copenhagen and one in Leningrad (!?).

5. GRW

Martin,
    Many thanks for that. I thought it had to be somewhere obscure the gun was used!
    Buckler's Hard....there's another place I haven't been for years!
    I didn't know that many had survived, and certainly not in places like Copenhagen and Leningrad.
    Regards,
    Gordon